This version installed properly. I followed the instructions, installing the software
before plugging in the USB device. Then I connected the USB to the computer and
plugged the DSL line into the "tail". Guess what? It actually worked. Or, it did for
about 20 minutes.
There are only two lights on the Speed Touch USB. One is labeled USB, the other ADSL.
After 20 minutes, both lights went out. I tried switching over to PPPoE. No change.
A check of the manual and some research on the web revealed that the USB port is
limited to a half an amp of current. The Speed Touch USB is right at that limit. A
warm boot did not bring the USB port back to life, only a cold boot -- either
power or the reset button -- would. According to the documentation I found, this
indicates that the USB is probably overloaded and shut down. I was able to keep the
USB device up for about 3 hours once - by not touching the keyboard or mouse on my
computer, and letting Win2K function as the NAT for the rest of the computers. As soon
as I moved the mouse, KABLAM! The USB turned off again. I suppose I could build a new
computer but that seems a trifle excessive.
If you check your calendar, you see that October 6 is a Friday. Naturally, all this
occurred over the weekend. As soon as I was able, I called BellSouth to change from
the USB device to an Ethernet device. Of course, in spite of the fact that I've
already gotten one DSL device running, BellSouth insists that only a "professional
installer" can install the Ethernet variety. (What am I, chopped liver?) I agree to
pay the $150 for the installer to come out and install the DSL/Ethernet bridge.
Of course, when the installer shows up a few days later, he doesn't want to touch the
Windows 2000 machine. I point him at one of the Windows 98 computers. He merrily
installs the Ethernet drivers on the single CPU Windows 98 machine, attaches the
computer directly to the Alcatel Speed Touch Home bridge, gets it running and leaves.
Tthe first thing I do is shut down the software on the Windows 98 computer, move the
bridge from a direct connection to the computer's Ethernet card to my Ethernet switch
(swapping from a straight-through cable to a cross over cable). Since the Enternet
software is already installed on the Windows 2000 server, I fire it up. I create a new
connection and DSL comes up. I configure the NAT and the all the other computers now
DSL service has been less than 100% reliable (we've had 2 outages of 4 hours so far)
but it's growing so rapidly in this are, that's to be expected and, almost, forgiven.