- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Al Sacco covers Mobile and Wireless for CIO.com. Follow Al on Twitter @Sacco.
Areas of Interest: Mobile & Wireless
- Used iPhone marketplace uSell.com released lists of the top most wanted iPhone 6 features and enhancements.
3 weeks 4 days ago
- Apple is rumored to be introducing a brand new proprietary version of the traditional USB connector, in the name of user convenience.
4 weeks 6 days ago
5 weeks 3 days ago
- In the rush to get wearable devices to market, attention hasn't always been paid to security and privacy.
5 weeks 3 days ago
- My single favorite feature of the iPhone 5s is the Touch ID fingerprint scanner, which lets you unlock your device with the tap of a finger. So when Samsung recently sent me its new Galaxy Tab S 10.5" tablet for review, the first thing I did was test the Tab S fingerprint scanner.
9 weeks 4 days ago
- Each and every spring/summer, keeping track of all the various new-iPhone-related rumors becomes a challenge that even the most dedicate iPhan would struggle to meet.
9 weeks 6 days ago
- BlackBerry is in full defensive mode these days. Rightly so. These are troubling times for the Canadian company.
10 weeks 4 days ago
- iOS 8 packs a set of valuable new features that demonstrate Apple's strengthening relationship with the enterprise and with business users.
15 weeks 5 days ago
- A recent report suggests Apple's iPhone 6 will have near-field communication (NFC) technology. If true, the NFC iPhone could be perfect for secure access control, both physical and digital.
18 weeks 6 days ago
- Going beyond the basics, these advanced iPhone battery tips will further maximize your phone's life per charge.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- BlackBerry today released an update to its BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) 10 software designed to address a "Heartbleed"-related OpenSSL vulnerability in the version of Apache Tomcat used within the BES BlackBerry Work Connect Notification Service. (A detailed breakdown of the vulnerability is available on NIST.gov.)
21 weeks 5 days ago
- These days, it seems like every new smartphone is packed with "must-see" new features, often with clever names, meant to set it apart from all the other devices on the market. Those features frequently prove to be less than useful over time. The brand new HTC One (M8) is no different.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- Yesterday, wireless industry group CTIA announced a partnership between many of the major smartphone makers and all of the leading U.S. wireless carriers that's designed to enable smartphone "kill-switch" functionality on handsets sold in the United States after July 2015.
22 weeks 3 days ago
- The terms "Internet of Things" (IoT) and "connected home" are two of the trendiest buzzwords in the technology world today. And while both clearly offer very real potential, they also introduce their own share of risk, cautions Jerry Irvine, an owner and CIO of IT outsourcing services firm, Prescient Solutions.
25 weeks 5 days ago
- Like a lot of retail companies, The Container Store uses walkie-talkies, but about nine months ago, the company took its first steps away from those two-way radios and started piloting the Theatro Wearable Computer in its Austin, Texas, store.
28 weeks 3 days ago
- The majority of today's CIOs see value in mobilizing enterprise applications and in deploying mobile-related innovations, but nearly as many CIOs also see the cost of deploying new innovations as prohibitive and complexity as a major concern, according to a new survey commissioned by Mobile Helix, a mobile security vendor.
41 weeks 3 days ago
- Not only has hardware innovation slowed; your next phone might not last as long as your previous one. And that could be just the way your carriers and/or phone maker wants it.
43 weeks 3 days ago
- The Nexus 5 is the hottest Android phone and one of the most notable smartphones available today. Here's what makes it great.
45 weeks 6 days ago
- Just a week after Apple released its brand new iPhone lineup, composed of the high-end iPhone 5s and the mid-range iPhone 5c, the company said it had already sold 9 million new devices. (Apple didn't break down its sales by model, but estimates suggest the iPhone 5s is two to three times more popular than the 5c model.)
46 weeks 3 days ago
- The wearables markets will face some of the same challenges the smartphone space did in the past years, including fragmentation. But it's no passing fad.
48 weeks 3 days ago
- Al Sacco started covering Research In Motion (RIM), now BlackBerry in 2005. This is his farewell post to a company that provided him a lot of fodder over the years.
49 weeks 5 days ago
- If you're in the market for an Android tablet and have your eye on both of these terrific tablets, how do you choose which one is for you? Here's a quick breakdown designed to help make your decision.
1 year 3 days ago
- Microsoft's planned Nokia purchase could have far-reaching effects on Microsoft, Nokia, BlackBerry, feature phones and, potentially, the entire mobile industry.
1 year 2 weeks ago
- When you picture a modern factory environment, you probably envision workers in hardhats, brightly colored vests and worn-down boots rushing back and forth between shiny machines. Lots of "Caution" signs, beeps and blinking lights. Piles of pallets being moved on fork loaders. Staffers checking boxes on documents attached to clipboards.
1 year 3 weeks ago
- A few weeks ago, I received a Nokia Lumia 1020 review unit in the mail. The device is Nokia's current flagship Windows Phone smartphone, and though I'm honestly not a big fan of Microsoft's mobile OS, Nokia makes great hardware. And the Lumia 1020 device has one notably-unique feature: A 41-megapixel digital camera.
1 year 3 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.