- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Al Sacco covers Mobile and Wireless for CIO.com. Follow Al on Twitter @Sacco.
Areas of Interest: Mobile & Wireless
- The terms "Internet of Things" (IoT) and "connected home" are two of the trendiest buzzwords in the technology world today. And while both clearly offer very real potential, they also introduce their own share of risk, cautions Jerry Irvine, an owner and CIO of IT outsourcing services firm, Prescient Solutions.
3 weeks 18 hours ago
- Like a lot of retail companies, The Container Store uses walkie-talkies, but about nine months ago, the company took its first steps away from those two-way radios and started piloting the Theatro Wearable Computer in its Austin, Texas, store.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- The majority of today's CIOs see value in mobilizing enterprise applications and in deploying mobile-related innovations, but nearly as many CIOs also see the cost of deploying new innovations as prohibitive and complexity as a major concern, according to a new survey commissioned by Mobile Helix, a mobile security vendor.
18 weeks 6 days ago
- Not only has hardware innovation slowed; your next phone might not last as long as your previous one. And that could be just the way your carriers and/or phone maker wants it.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- The Nexus 5 is the hottest Android phone and one of the most notable smartphones available today. Here's what makes it great.
23 weeks 1 day ago
- Just a week after Apple released its brand new iPhone lineup, composed of the high-end iPhone 5s and the mid-range iPhone 5c, the company said it had already sold 9 million new devices. (Apple didn't break down its sales by model, but estimates suggest the iPhone 5s is two to three times more popular than the 5c model.)
23 weeks 5 days ago
- The wearables markets will face some of the same challenges the smartphone space did in the past years, including fragmentation. But it's no passing fad.
25 weeks 5 days ago
- Al Sacco started covering Research In Motion (RIM), now BlackBerry in 2005. This is his farewell post to a company that provided him a lot of fodder over the years.
27 weeks 20 hours ago
- If you're in the market for an Android tablet and have your eye on both of these terrific tablets, how do you choose which one is for you? Here's a quick breakdown designed to help make your decision.
29 weeks 6 days ago
- Microsoft's planned Nokia purchase could have far-reaching effects on Microsoft, Nokia, BlackBerry, feature phones and, potentially, the entire mobile industry.
32 weeks 20 hours ago
- When you picture a modern factory environment, you probably envision workers in hardhats, brightly colored vests and worn-down boots rushing back and forth between shiny machines. Lots of "Caution" signs, beeps and blinking lights. Piles of pallets being moved on fork loaders. Staffers checking boxes on documents attached to clipboards.
32 weeks 5 days ago
- A few weeks ago, I received a Nokia Lumia 1020 review unit in the mail. The device is Nokia's current flagship Windows Phone smartphone, and though I'm honestly not a big fan of Microsoft's mobile OS, Nokia makes great hardware. And the Lumia 1020 device has one notably-unique feature: A 41-megapixel digital camera.
33 weeks 1 day ago
- Google's Chromebook Pixel is one of the flashiest and most unique laptops on the market, and though there's a lot to love about the machine, there's also a lot to, well, not love.
34 weeks 6 days ago
- This week, Verizon Wireless and Motorola announced a brand new family of DROID Android smartphones.
37 weeks 6 days ago
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 and the HTC One are two of the hottest smartphones on the market today. Here are 5 reasons the GS4 might be right for you.
42 weeks 6 days ago
- The following list spotlights five areas in which the HTC One outperforms the Galaxy S4.
42 weeks 6 days ago
- Ever since BlackBerry first launched its PlayBook tablet back in April 2011, the company's tablet strategy has been flawed.
45 weeks 1 day ago
- "Available for BlackBerry 10" does not necessarily mean "available for both the BlackBerry Z10 and Q10."
49 weeks 6 days ago
- The Samsung Galaxy S4 packs some valuable and truly unique features.
51 weeks 5 days ago
- 10 BlackBerry Z10 features that you will not find in any iPhone.
1 year 1 week ago
- How to capture a screen shot, how to instantly launch voice control, a variety of keyboard shortcuts and more.
1 year 9 weeks ago
- Samsung this morning announced that it sold more than five million Galaxy Note II devices glo
1 year 20 weeks ago
- BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion (RIM) today released a new, beta version of its popular BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) chat app, BBM 7.0, with new BlackBerry-specific Wi-Fi calling features, called BBM Voice.
1 year 21 weeks ago
- Research In Motion (RIM) CIO Robin Bienfait is not your typical CIO. In her own words: "I probably would be more classified as a CTO. But at RIM, it takes somebody that's like a CTO to be the CIO. You've got all these people within RIM who are highly technical and they're going to challenge everything you do as a CIO."
1 year 26 weeks ago
- Despite shrinking U.S. mobile market share and an ongoing loss of consumer confidence in the company, BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion (RIM) is still putting the enterprise first.
1 year 28 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.