- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Ann Bednarz writes about enterprise IT trends, including tech careers, browsers, telework and executive compensation, for Network World. Follow her on Twitter @annbednarz.
Areas of Interest:
- If you've thought about trying to boost your data skills, check out Coursera's catalog of free classes. In particular, Johns Hopkins is about to start a nine-class specialization in data science.
3 weeks 3 days ago
- Venture capital firms continue to funnel big sums of money to big data startups. Hadoop player Cloudera announced $160 million in new financing, and analytics startup Platfora raised $38 million.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- The hiring scene is changing for tech pros. Marketing departments are bolstering their technical ranks to help with big data, cloud, SEO, and mobile development initiatives.
7 weeks 1 day ago
- If you're in tech, it pays to be in big data. Nine of the top 10 highest paying IT salaries are for languages, databases and skills related to big data.
10 weeks 1 day ago
- Big data tactics and budgets vary, but IT pros agree data analytics will play an increasingly vital role in business operations.
10 weeks 3 days ago
- MemSQL, a database startup founded by former Facebook engineers, has raised $35 million in a series B round of venture funding.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- San Francisco isn't the toughest place to hire tech pros these days. Recruiting challenges are also hitting other U.S. cities, including Chicago, Detroit, Boston and Tampa.
13 weeks 2 days ago
- The tech industry is often touted as a bright spot on an otherwise lackluster hiring scene, but one firm's analysis of recent employment data finds it's not as vibrant as it has been.
14 weeks 1 day ago
- Want to learn more about Big Data? MIT is taking on the buzzy topic in an online course designed for tech pros. Tackling the Challenges of Big Data runs from March 4 to April 1 and costs $495.
14 weeks 2 days ago
- What IT execs can do before top talent heads off to Del Boca Vista.
14 weeks 5 days ago
- A rise in operational spending bodes well for hiring, which remains a bright spot in the tech industry. The biggest drivers of IT spending growth are cloud computing, mobility, big data and social networking technologies.
15 weeks 2 days ago
- IT pros from social media, healthcare and insurance industries share their big-data success stories and lessons learned.
21 weeks 3 days ago
- Twitter revealed its biggest earners as it prepares for its IPO. CEO Dick Costolo netted $11.5 million last year, and Christopher Fry, SVP of engineering, raked in $10.3 million.
26 weeks 4 days ago
- CIOs at big-name companies are getting big-time bonuses, perks, and stock awards.
27 weeks 3 days ago
- Cisco CEO John Chambers saw his compensation nearly double this year, topping $21 million. His salary more than tripled, and the value of his stock awards doubled.
28 weeks 3 days ago
- The health insurance marketplaces mandated by the Obama administration's Affordable Care Act are scheduled to open for business in four days. Yet even before the sites launch, tech problems are emerging.
29 weeks 1 day ago
- Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, who consistently ranks among the highest paid CEOs in the U.S., took an 18% pay cut this year. His total compensation, valued at $78.4 million, is down from $96.2 million in 2012.
29 weeks 5 days ago
- Devops is about getting the people responsible for creating applications to work more closely with the people who maintain apps in production. The goal? Faster delivery, better quality apps.
30 weeks 2 days ago
- PayScale ranked 129 college majors based on earning potential. Engineering, math, science and technology fields dominated the rankings.
30 weeks 4 days ago
- Among computer science grads, alumni from University of California, Berkeley, led the pack with a median mid-career salary of $141,400, PayScale says.
30 weeks 4 days ago
- Tech companies are hanging on to record amounts of cash when they could be using it to do more acquisitions, repurchase stock, pay down debt, and pay out dividends. Microsoft, Google, Cisco, Apple and Oracle are among the biggest hoarders. Combined, these five tech companies held $245 billion in cash at the end of March.
32 weeks 4 days ago
- It's a job seeker's market, if you've got the right tech skills. IT staffing specialist Modis identifies the 10 hottest IT jobs, based on the skills and roles its clients are eager to find and fill.
35 weeks 1 day ago
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported 3,600 jobs were created in the tech category, 'data processing, hosting and related services,' marking the single best month of job growth in this category since June 1998.
35 weeks 5 days ago
- With the unemployment rate for tech workers below 4% nationally, there's growing competition for IT talent. Lately, some of the demand for tech candidates is coming from outside the IT department. Who's behind it? Marketing.
43 weeks 1 day ago
- C-level titles top the list of highest paid IT jobs, and technical support positions dominate the low end of the pay scale, according to new IT salary data from technology staffing firm Mondo.
43 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.