Telnet is a text-based tool that you can use at the command prompt to connect to another computer on the Internet. Unfortunately, telnet is not enabled by default in Windows 8. But it's easy and fast to setup telnet on your computer.
Here's how you can turn on telnet in Windows 8:
1. Open the Control Panel.
2. Click on Programs and Features.
3. Click on Turn Windows Features On or Off.
4. Check the Telnet Client box in the Windows Features dialog box.
5. Click OK and telnet will be installed.
6. You can then access telnet from the command prompt by typing "telnet" without the quotes.
This video from KC Sahu on YouTube will walk you through each step of enabling telnet in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.:
Hat tip: Install and Enable Telnet in Windows 8 and 8.1 | Sysprobs