One of the hallmarks of technology companies these days are the perks and benefits they offer to their employees. Since technology workers are in high demand and generally short supply, companies will often bend over backwards to entice workers to join them, by offering high salaries, fun offices and good food.
But another aspect that can appeal to workers is the overall corporate culture and values. Aside from the foosball tables and gourmet coffee, potential employees would like to know if the company is supportive of its workers in other ways, like when a family emergency occurs? Will your new coworkers have your back? Does the company actively support worthy causes? Company culture and values can really count for a lot in how an employee feels about working there. When it comes to tech companies, which ones offer the best culture to their workers?
We now have some data to help that question, thanks to a new report released this week by job site GlassDoor. GlassDoor allows employees to (anonymously) rate their current or past employers based on a number of things such as compensation and benefits, career opportunities and company culture. Based on feedback gathered from July, 2013 through this past July, they’ve identified the top 25 companies for culture and values (minimum 100 reviews). Twitter took the overall top spot, with a number of other tech companies making the list. Here they are, along with some quotes about the culture from reviewers:
1. Twitter - “Good engineering-driven culture with plenty of smart, energetic people who are eager to do great things.”
3. Google - “Sense of community, nice work and life balance, and grand thinking.”
4. Riverbed Technology - “Riverbed has a great work life balance, great benefits, best products in our tech space, and awesome colleagues to work with.”
5. Facebook - “Great open culture where you can question anything and anyone.”
11. Intuit - “Test and learn culture, Leadership and true freedom to explore opportunities.”
13. CDW - “Very innovative, excellent support and resources and wonderful work environment.”
15. Apple - “Apple provides you with the opportunity to not only grow as a professional, but also as an individual.”
19. Citrix - “Everyone here is always working as a team and put there co-workers first.”
20. Adobe - “They live the values presented.”
25. NetApp - “Full week of paid volunteer work per year for EVERY employee.”
Check out the report on GlassDoor for the full list. I find it a great site for this kind of information about companies. Be aware that you’ll have to register with the site to get access to reviews, but it’s worth it if you want to find out more about a prospective employer. Have at it!
Read more of Phil Johnson's #Tech blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Phil on Twitter at @itwphiljohnson. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.