Fire at Samsung facility affects website, media portal

The network outage was caused by a fire in a Samsung facility

A fire at a Samsung facility in South Korea on Sunday resulted in a temporary outage that shut down its website and caused the company's Smart TV products to report error messages.

The fire broke out at a facility of Samsung SDS, a subsidiary of Samsung Group and a provider of software services, outsourcing and consulting.

In a statement, Samsung Electronics said it detected a "brief service disruption" that lasted for four and a half hours, before the service was restored at about 7:30 p.m. local time.

Samsung did not provide more information. During the outage, the Samsung.com website was down, along with the company's Smart Hub service, a media content portal used by its Smart TVs. Users took to Twitter to complain.

A post on a Samsung SDS blog said the fire was the result of a power supply issue, and the blaze resulted in injury to a person hit by debris. Certain company services such as online payment and Internet services have been affected, the post added.

Samsung SDS said the company is cooperating with authorities to investigate the incident, and transferring affected data services to its other facilities.

Earlier this year in March, another fire erupted at a Samsung supplier in South Korea called DAP Corporation. The supplier produced printed circuit boards for the company's smartphones. But Samsung said the incident would not delay the launch of its Galaxy S5 handset.

Top 10 Hot Internet of Things Startups
Join the discussion
Be the first to comment on this article. Our Commenting Policies