Microsoft held their Gamescom press event today and while they shared a lot of new information, what they didn't share was a launch date. Could Phil Spencer be holding that back for the Gamescom Keynote?
They did, however, reveal the Xbox One launch lineup of 20 games, and at first glance anyway it seems like there'll be something for almost everyone:
- Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
- Battlefield 4 (DICE, Electronic Arts)
- Call of Duty: Ghosts (Infinity Ward, Activision)
- Crimson Dragon (Grounding/Land Ho!, Microsoft Studios)
- Dead Rising 3 (Capcom Vancouver, Microsoft)
- FIFA 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
- Fighter Within (AMA Ltd., Ubisoft)
- Forza Motorsport 5 (Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft Studios)
- Just Dance 2014 (Ubisoft Paris, Ubisoft)
- Killer Instinct (Double Helix, Microsoft Studios)
- LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (TT Games, Warner Bros. Interactive)
- Lococycle (Twisted Pixel, Microsoft Studios)
- Madden NFL 25 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
- NBA 2K14 (Visual Concepts, 2K Sports)
- NBA LIVE 14 (EA Sports, Electronic Arts)
- Need for Speed: Rivals (Ghost Games, Electronic Arts)
- Peggle 2 (Popcap, Electronic Arts)
- Powerstar Golf (Zoe Mode, Microsoft Studios)
- Ryse: Son of Rome (Crytek, Microsoft Studios)
- Skylanders: Swap Force (Vicarious Visions, Activision)
- Watch Dogs (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
- Zoo Tycoon (Frontier Developments Ltd., Microsoft Studios)
- Zumba Fitness: World Party (Zoë Mode, Majesco)
New game reveals included the Kinect-controlled fighting game, Fighter Within from Ubisoft, and a multiplayer iteration of the Fable franchise, Fable Legends.
Microsoft also announced a new Indie game program called ID@Xbox. Independent game developers who apply and are accepted will get two Xbox One dev kits for free, as well as the tools they need to support Kinect, SmartGlass, Xbox One cloud services...basically everything a non-independent developer has.
What's the catch? Well first Microsoft has to select you for the program. I'm also sure there's some requirement for at least timed exclusivity, but those details aren't available yet.
Last for now, every Xbox One pre-ordered in Europe will come with a copy of FIFA 14. Microsoft isn't talking at all about North America today, so no word on if there'll be any kind of pack-in for those of us over here.
Personally while the launch line-up is looking pretty great to me, I'm bummed we didn't get a launch date. How about you?
Read more of Peter Smith's TechnoFile blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Peter on Twitter at @pasmith. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.