Here's a free extension you can use in Chrome that lets you control YouTube buffering for better video playback.
1. Go to the SmartVideo extension page.
2. Click the Add to Chrome button.
Here's a list of features:
"1. Works with all embedded/HTML5 YouTube videos. Be it a Facebook news feed video or a video directly from YouTube site.
2. With global preferences, all YouTube videos can be set to start on your wish. - As soon as the page loads - When the video is buffered completely, or whatever buffer percentage you choose. - Let SmartVideo decide when it's good to start playing. SmartVideo's 'smart buffer' decides the buffer percentage based on your current download speed. - Or just make the YouTube videos to start buffering when the page loads. You can play the video whenever you wish.
3. Along with above buffer strategies, you can opt not to initialize video until you click on it.
4. The buffer strategy can be set for individual YouTube player or as the Global preferences. Just hover your mouse over any YouTube video.
5. Calculates time left before the video starts playing. (Hover the mouse over the YouTube video)
6. Once a video is buffered as desired, notifications (sound and/or desktop notification) can be raised instead of playing the video.
7. SmartVideo can default the video quality or size based on your preference.
8. 'Loop' option on all YouTube videos.
9. Separate preferences for embedded, 'on youtube.com' videos and playlists.
10. Enable/disable 'switching to HD on fullscreen' option."
For more, see the original article at the link below.
This article is published as part of the IDG Contributor Network. Want to Join?