Earlier in this series, I wrote about how after upgrading vCenter Server to v5.1 my backup tools had been unable to connect to vCenter. In that post, I explained how to re-credential servers with the Veeam Backup and Replication service.
Unfortunately, my backups were not working even after reconfiguring Veeam. I kept getting an odd error. So I knew it was time to upgrade to the latest Veeam Backup and Replication v6.5.
I must say the upgrade went smoothly. There were no issues, so writing a blog post seemed a bit much. However, I got errors on all but one of my backup jobs.
The error I received was:
Failed to execute SOAP command "CRetrievePropertiesOperation". Details: "
" The object has already been deleted or has not been completely created host-18
The root cause of this error ended up being an issue where Veeam 6.5 did not properly handle already deleted snapshots. In essence, 6.5 tried to use an existing snapshot, which was already deleted. This could be due to a failure in the Veeam database, a vCenter issue, or any number of snapshot related issues. However, the fix was fairly simple. A quick email to support and I received a link for a patch to Veeam 6.5.
This patch fixed the problem and apparently one other where occasionally I would receive the following in my logs:
Error: Client error: Failed to open VDDK disk
When you upgrade vSphere or vCenter there is always an impact to any third party software, when you upgrade that software, sometimes there are failures that, in this case, have already been fixed.
Veeam's response to this was exceptional. The patch was available for me to use immediately.
Also in this series: vSphere upgrade saga: Upgrading the storage on your Iomega ix2-200 vSphere upgrade saga: Upgrading vCenter Operations Manager vSphere upgrade saga: Fixing backup and other virtual appliances vSphere upgrade saga: vSphere ESXi and Host Profiles vSphere upgrade saga: vCloud Director 5.1 vSphere upgrade saga: Upgrading to vCNS 5.1 vSphere upgrade saga: vCenter 5.1 vSphere upgrade saga: Upgrading HPSIM vSphere upgrade saga: Getting all the bits vSphere upgrade saga: Fixing VMware View