Configuring Outlook.com to work with a POP3 account. Click to view larger image.
4. Make sure to pay attention to a setting that's easy to overlook: whether or not to leave copies of your mail messages on the server. If you're planning to have Windows Mail be your only mail client for accessing your POP-based mail, consider having the messages deleted from the server. However, if you're going to have multiple devices access the mail, make sure to leave the messages on the server. Click Next.
5. On the next screen, you'll be asked whether you want to create a new folder for the mail or keep it in your Outlook.com Inbox. Make your choice and select Next.
6. A verification email will be send to your POP account. Click that link. You'll be sent to a page on Outlook.com telling you that you're set up. You're now ready to tell Windows 8 Mail to get mail from Outlook.com (see below).
Configure Gmail to get POP3 mail
To configure Gmail to grab POP3 mail from an existing POP3 account:
1. In Gmail, click the gear icon on the upper-right corner of the screen and select Settings --> Accounts and Import --> Add a POP3 mail account you own.
2. On the screen that appears, enter your email address.
3. On the next screen, enter the information you normally need to access your POP account, including the server address, port number and so on. If you don't have it, check with your mail provider.
You can also check whatever mail client you normally use for the information. If you're using Outlook 2010, for instance, select File --> Info --> Account settings --> Account setting and click the E-mail tab. Double-click the account, and you'll find the necessary information.
Configuring Gmail to get POP3 mail.
4. After you're done, click Add Account. From the screen that appears, tell Gmail that you want to send messages from the account, not just receive them. You'll have to enter your outgoing email settings and have Gmail send the account an email to verify that it's yours.
5. When you receive the verification email at your POP3 account, click the link and follow the instructions for verifying the address. That's it; Gmail will start retrieving your POP3 mail. You're now ready to tell Windows 8 Mail to get mail from Gmail.
Configure Windows 8 Mail to get mail from Outlook.com or Gmail
Run the Windows 8 Mail app, press the Windows key + C to display the Charms bar, and select Settings --> Accounts --> Add an account.
To get mail from Outlook.com, select Outlook on this screen. Enter your Outlook.com email address and password, click Connect, and you'll start getting the POP mail via Outlook.com.
To get mail from Gmail, select Google on the Add an account screen. Enter your email address and password and click Connect. You'll start getting POP mail via Gmail.
Get more Windows 8 help: 6 tips to make Windows 8 less annoying
Preston Gralla is a contributing editor for Computerworld.com and the author of more than 40 books, including Windows 8 Hacks (O'Reilly, 2012).
Read more about windows in Computerworld's Windows Topic Center.
This story, "10 Windows 8 tips, tricks and hacks" was originally published by Computerworld.