CIOs and senior vice presidents of IT aren't the only technical talent that's pulling in six-figure salaries.
New research from Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group identifies a number of IT positions that command $100,000+ salaries in today's market, including information architects, data security analysts, and user experience designers.
CIO PAYDAY: Top CIOs net seven-figure pay packages
"These highly specialized positions help companies implement essential projects, such as improving and securing the firm's online presence across platforms, or gathering and analyzing business data," said John Reed, senior executive director of Robert Half Technology and The Creative Group, in a statement. "Employers are willing to pay well for these roles because they allow organizations to take advantage of new technologies and gain a competitive edge."
Using salary data based on U.S. national averages, Robert Half Technology identified six tech jobs with high earning potential:
* Mobile applications developer: The influx of smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices has companies hunting for IT pros who can develop applications for the small screen, asserts Robert Half Technology. According to its latest salary data, average starting salaries for mobile applications developers range from $85,000 to $122,500. The midpoint is $103,750.
* Data security analyst: IT pros who can analyze risk and protect against it can make between $89,000 and $121,500, on average. The midpoint is $105,250.
* Interactive creative director: Robert Half Technology defines this role as someone who leads interactive creative teams, composed of designers, writers and art directors, who are responsible for visual and conceptual creative direction and user experience. Average base compensation is $93,500 to $150,000, and the midpoint is $121,750.
* Business intelligence analyst: Tech pros who can design and develop enterprise data analysis and reporting tools are in demand as data volumes grow. Starting salaries range from $87,750 to $123,500 for this position, on average, and the midpoint is $105,625.
* Information architect: Defining content strategy, designing website features, and analyzing audiences are among the responsibilities of this role, which works to improve architecture and navigation, says Robert Half Technology. Base compensation is between $78,250 and $116,000, on average, and the midpoint is $97,125.
* User experience (UX) designer: Tech pros who can create positive digital experiences for customers are in demand, and the average starting pay range for these individuals is $71,750 to $104,000. The midpoint is $87,875.
Robert Half Technology (which focuses on IT staffing) and The Creative Group (which focuses on interactive, design and marketing jobs) are divisions of staffing services firm Robert Half International.
Ann Bednarz covers IT careers, outsourcing and Internet culture for Network World. Follow Ann on Twitter at @annbednarz and check out her blog, Occupational Hazards. Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about infrastructure management in Network World's Infrastructure Management section.
This story, "Six-figure IT salaries not just for CIOs, SVPs" was originally published by Network World.