There are some technical specialties that not only provide great employment opportunities, but also create the possibility of using them to start your own business. The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of these skill sets.
Potential jobs for people with SEO skills include:
- Working internally for a company whose business model depends on high organic search results
- Working for a web design company to help assure that the websites it creates are technically structured in a way that maximize search engine visibility
- Working for a company that provides SEO as a service
- Working for a company heavily involved in social media to assure their blog posts contain the right mix of key search words to help maximize search engine visibility
- Working for a marketing type company heavily involved in social media to help assure the maximum search value of their marketing campaigns and social media based outreach
From an entrepreneurial perspective, SEO skills provide you the following possibilities:
- Become a professional speaker on how people can optimize their websites for maximum visibilities
- Start a company that consults with clients on how to optimize their websites
- Start a company that provides ongoing SEO services for clients (often combined with #2 above)
- Start a training business teaching people how SEO works and specific things they can do to optimize their websites
- If you are a software developer by background, consider creating and selling an SEO oriented software product and/or cloud-based service
- If you like to write, create a business writing SEO efficient blog posts for client companies
If SEO is an area where you would like to work or start a company, please note that while it is a thriving industry, there is also an ever growing amount of competition. That said, I would consider trying to build your personal reputation and personal brand. The idea being that as you become better known as an SEO subject matter expert, it will be easier for you to find employment and/or successfully start your own company. In fact, since you know SEO, use it to your advantage to help create your reputation and brand. This is a double win for you. First, and most obvious, your SEO skills will help you be seen by others. Second, you can be your own first client. That is to say, once you are successful publicizing yourself, you can use your personal SEO success as a case study as to how you can help others.
If you have any questions about your career in IT, please email me at eric@ManagerMechanics.com or find me on Twitter at @EricPBloom.
Until next time, work hard, work smart, and continue to grow.
Read more of Eric Bloom's Your IT Career blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Eric on Twitter at @EricPBloom. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.