Windows 8 comes with the controversial Metro user interface. Here's a free tool that you can use to change Metro to make it more to your liking. You can even disable the Metro start menu if you want.
You'll need to download Metro UI from the Windows Club and install it first.
Here's a list of tweaks you can do using Metro UI Tweaker:
1. Disable the Metro start menu.
2. Disable Explorer ribbon.
3. Disable Metro start menu and Explorer ribbon.
4. Enable Metro start menu and Explorer ribbon.
5. Add power options to the Metro start menu.
6. Add any application to the Metro UI start menu.
Metro UI Tweaker: Tweak The Windows 8 User Interface | Windows 8 News