Conducted by Ofcom, the independent regulator and competition authority for the U.K. communications industries, the survey reveals that 37% of adults and 60% of teens confess to being "highly addicted" to their smartphones.
And how does this addiction manifest itself?
* 81% of smartphone users keep their devices on at all times, even when sleeping
* 38% of adults and 40% of teens admit using their smartphone after it woke them (wake and bake!)
* 23% of adults and 34% of teens use their smartphones during meals
* The volume of data transmitted over mobile networks in the U.K. increased by a factor of 40 from 2007 through 2010.
* 18% of adults and 27% of teens will use their smartphones in cinemas, libraries and other places where they're not supposed to. Cheeky!
Speaking of cheeky...
* 47% of U.K. teens and 22% of adults use or answer their smartphones while using the bathroom
OK, there should be disclosure law for that. You just can't do that to other people!
Read more of Chris Nerney's Tech Business Today blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Chris on Twitter at @ChrisNerney. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.