Enterprise-scale cloud computing showed its dark side overnight, as Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud developed holes that let several really big customers drop through.
Foursquare, Quora, Reddit, Moby and Hootsuite are among the commercial customers whose web sites failed after Amazon's Infrastructure as a Service began having problems making connections between databases and applications, applications and storage systems and between APIs and everything else.
The reports, the first of which is posted on Amazon's Service Health Dashboard, began at 1:41 a.m. Pacific time cited "latency and error rates with EBS volumes and EC2 instances" across the Eastern U.S.
The site was still experiencing problems for both commercial services and private companies as of 10:40 Eastern time in the U.S. This is the first time EC2 -- the leading example of a stable, flexible-capacity public-cloud service -- has experienced outages serious enough to bring down multiple customers, especially those whose business is as public as high-traffic web sites.
The Wall Street Journal's All Things Digital reports these other outages:
- SCVNGR is reporting that it is down too as a result of the outage.
- Discovr, an iPad music app, reported that it went down, but shortly reported its service was restored.
- Wildfire, a social media app, reports that it is down.
- Livefyre is down.
- Here’s an interesting one. CampgroundManager.com, apparently a software-as-service application used to manage campgrounds, say it is down.
- A service called Totango, which appears to do something with managing customer relations and subscriptions, had some issues, but moved some things around, and got things mostly working again.
- ESchedule, a Canada-based employee scheduling service, reports its service is down.
- ZeHosting, a Web host, says it is experiencing slowdowns.
- Recorded Future, which bills itself as a “temporal analytics engine” is reporting an outage.
- PercentMobile, a mobile analytics firm, say its service is down.
- The Cydia Store, which hosts applications available for jailbroken iPhones, reports it is down.