Amazon announced its new Kindle DX today, and the leaks were pretty much spot on. Here's a quick look at the specs:
- 9.7 inch screen with auto-rotation
- 3.3 gigs of storage, enough for 3,500 books
- Native PDF support
- 3G wireless with no additional cost
- $9.99 or less for New York Times subscription, best sellers and most new releases
- $489, now available for pre-order
The auto-rotation was a surprise, but otherwise this is pretty much what we expected. Amazon's Jeff Bezos says they have deals with three leading textbook publishers (Pearson, Cengage Learning, and Wiley) and pilot programs at five universities starting this fall.
The Kindle DX is available for pre-order now at Amazon.com.
Bezos mentioned an interesting fact. He claims that Kindle versions account for 35% of sales on products that are available in that format.
So what will you buy? A Kindle 2 for $359, a Kindle DX for $489, or are you still waiting for color?