1 All households/addresses in the United States received a census form.
- One in six got the long form
- 67% of 145 million households responded
- 99.93% of respondents mailed their forms back
- 70,000 respondents filed electronically
2 All forms were mailed to one of three data capture sites.
3 Forms were scanned two ways:
- By bar code to register who responded (census-takers were sent to homes of nonrespondents)
- By OCR/OMR to capture data (this worked 90% of the time - 10% of forms were keyed by hand)
4 Data was sent to Census headquarters in Suitland, Md., for analysis. Granularity of data captured:
5 Results will be sent to the president at year's end and then posted on the American Fact Finder website at factfinder.census.gov.