Working overseas: getting help once you get there


Last week, we talked about how to find overseas job opportunities. And now that you have your dream job in Paris, you must face the facts -- you don't know the culture, or even how to find an apartment. Don't fret: you can get help from your employer, private relocation agencies, and local governments.

When Ronn Wiehler was sent to Paris by his employer, InfoVista, a provider of performance-monitoring software, he made use of Executive Relocations, a relocation agency that InfoVista provided. "[Executive Relocations] handled the whole bureaucracy and paper chase," said Wiehler. "They help you set up all your utilities and establish a bank account, and all the kind of everyday things that you take for granted at home. I can call them every day and ask for assistance -- which is particularly helpful when dealing with a small child."

A company that moves an employee overseas will have to pay for transportation, and may offer some temporary assistance with rent. The relocation agency won't break most companies -- Wiehler said InfoVista paid about $3,500 for Executive Relocations's three- month package.

Dr. Klaus Peter Schorer, executive manager for the Baden-W

ITWorld DealPost: The best in tech deals and discounts.