Since 1968, when a designer at Xerox PARC conceived of the first prototype notebook--the Dynabook--the computer industry has witnessed a breathtaking succession of innovations in mobile computing. This year, for the first time, laptops sales will exceed desktop sales, according to market research firm iSuppli.
In this slideshow we look back at the biggest technology breakthroughs in the evolution of laptop computers since geeks first dreamed of taking their beloved desktops with them wherever they wanted to go.
Don't miss these other slideshows focusing on laptops and desktop PCs:
- The Laptop in 2015: Not Your Daddy's Notebook
- Laptops With Epic Battery Life Keep You Working
- 10 Must-Have Netbooks, from Super Expensive to Bargain Basement
- Evolution of the PC
- The Computer Hardware Hall of Fame
- World's Most Outrageous PC Cases
And for an interesting alternative take on laptop milestones, written a couple of years ago, check out "The 10 Most Important Laptops of All Time."
Follow ITworld on Twitter: @IT_world