- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: February 2014
Areas of Interest:
- What do I need to do to be able to run Android apps on a Mac? Is it possible?
1 day 6 hours ago
- Bare metal servers are an alternative cloud solution to virtualization. They are servers that are fully dedicated to your tasks and not virtualized, which minimizes performance degradation. However, they still offer the benefits of provisioning and scalability that are associated with the cloud model.
6 days 13 hours ago
- I assume that since you are using an AirPort Extreme you have Macs at that office. The easiest way to map out the WiFi coverage is to use software that lets you draw a floorplan, then take a MacBook around the building to get multiple signal strength readings. NetSpot is pretty good for this.
6 days 13 hours ago
- I’d also add OCCT to the list. It provides decent graphs for real-time monitoring, which makes it easier to see any change in temp. There’s a free version for personal use, as well as a “pro” version that adds a few features.
1 week 1 day ago
- First off, I’m not sure that this is really necessary, but even if it isn’t, it seems like a pretty easy dose of snake oil compared to the cost of a battery replacement for a MacBook. So, what are the steps to calibrate a MacBook battery?
1 week 5 days ago
- What are the big differences between Yosemite and previous versions of OS X? Anything exciting to look forward to?
5 weeks 7 hours ago
- I know that you can install Windows 7 on a Mac using Boot Camp, but is it also compatible with Windows 8.1? I was thinking that the touch screen oriented OS might cause issues.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- There are a lot of things you can do, some make a bigger difference than others, but they all should help to some degree. Here are a few easy ones that I think make a noticeable improvement. Hope they help you out.
6 weeks 4 days ago
- There is actually some evidence that after an initial negative reaction, all of the discussion has actually resulted in increased adoption of public cloud services.
6 weeks 6 days ago
- On newer Macs, the Apple silhouette has been replaced by a different symbol that looks like a cloverleaf intersection. The correct term for it either way is the “command key.” Be careful not to say “Apple key” around some people, or you will get a lecture on correct terminology.
6 weeks 6 days ago
- If you think about it, even WiFi is kind of a marketing term. Sure the “Wi” part means wireless, but did you ever think about what the “Fi” part means? It means it sounds good with Wi, is what it means.
8 weeks 15 hours ago
- Aryton answers Re: How to stop cooling fan from on Mac from constantly running at max speed after HDD replacement?I’m not sure why Apple came up with this design. The conspiracist in me would note that it is a very good way to force more Apple owners to have their HDD replaced by Apple itself, which is of course the most expensive option for consumers and the most lucrative for Apple.
8 weeks 15 hours ago
- How can I find my MacBook's date of manufacture?
8 weeks 2 days ago
- You should still be able to get the Mac to connect to the PC using Go>Connect to Server. To get it so that you can use the finder bar may take a little more effort. First of all, go to the Windows PC and find what it has listed as the name of its workgroup.
8 weeks 4 days ago
- This fits squarely in the “first world problems” category, but it annoys me when Siri pronounces my friends’ names incorrectly. This happens a lot with friends that have more unique spellings of their names. Is there a way to teach Siri how to say names correctly?
11 weeks 2 days ago
- I saw a really nice deal on a Chromebook, and I think I will pick one up. One question, though - can I use iTunes on a Chromebook?
12 weeks 1 day ago
- Which versions of the iPhone will iOS 8 be compatable with? Will it be work with the iPhone 4S?
13 weeks 10 hours ago
- I have been considering giving Android a try, but I’m worried about not getting my text messages if I switch over. I know this can be an issue when the phone number is ported from the iPhone to Android, and I want to avoid it if I can. Has this issue been resolved, or is it still a problem?
14 weeks 6 days ago
- I would prefer Chrome to Safari for my default browser, but I haven’t been able to figure out a way to change it. Is there a way to choose Chrome as the default browser in iOS?
15 weeks 20 hours ago
- How can I monitor which applications are using the network in OS X?
18 weeks 6 days ago
- OpenSSL is an open source project with about a $1 million annual budget. That’s pretty amazing when you consider how crucial of a role it plays in online security. Here is a good article that explains more about OpenSSL. http://www.inferse.com/14435/heartbleed-bug-openssl-everything-need-know/
20 weeks 10 hours ago
- Is there a way to see the WiFi passwords I’ve entered on an iPhone?
20 weeks 4 days ago
- How can I make a folder invisible on Mac OS X? I’m planning a surprise vacation for my girlfriend this summer, and I don’t want her to stumble onto it while she is using my Mac to look at kitty pictures on reddit.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- I haven’t used FaceTime in a while, but when I did, I'm pretty sure that you had to add the person to your contacts to call them. Maybe something has changed since then.
23 weeks 1 day ago
- I’m using Office for Mac 2011. When sharing calendars among different co-workers, is there a way to change the colors to differentiate them? For example Jack has a red background, Jill has a yellow background, etc. I can do it for my own stuff, but not for shared, which is when it would actually be convenient.
23 weeks 5 days ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.