- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- I just spilled a can of Coke on my PC's keyboard. I’ve unplugged it and have it upside down on paper towels. What else can I do to clean it so that I don’t have to buy a new one? I can already imagine the feel of those sticky keys when I try to use it again. Yuck.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- Workstations are essentially powerful PCs built with enterprise users in mind. To quote Dell, “think of them as PCs on steroids.” http://techpageone.dell.com/business/pc-isnt-enough-need-workstation/#.U...
5 weeks 5 days ago
- It concerns thread management. To quote Wikipedia, a semaphore is “a variable or abstract data type that is used for controlling access, by multiple processes, to a common resource in a parallel programming or a multi user environment.”
5 weeks 5 days ago
- bcastle asks How do you feel about Facebook performing psychology experiments on users without consent?Facebook was helping psychology researchers determine whether being exposed to disproportionately positive or negative posts in peoples’ newsfeed caused them to in turn be more negative or positive.
8 weeks 5 days ago
- bcastle asks Will Microsoft require mandatory updates to all versions of IE in order to receive security patches?Microsoft has apparently stopped automatic security updates to Internet Explorer 11 unless you install a mandatory update. I’m concerned that this may cause issues with other business applications that make use of Internet Explorer. Is this new policy limited to IE11 or has it been implemented for all versions of IE?
10 weeks 3 days ago
- On Tuesday, Joynet went down for a while, and I've heard it blamed on a mistake by a single admin. Could a single admin take down an entire data center with one mistake?
13 weeks 16 hours ago
- The file should still be there, you just need to re-sync. Close the Pages app that you are using (whether using Command+Q on a Mac or the multitasking tray on an iPad/iPhone ). Go into iCloud, open the document/file that is giving you trouble and make any change to the document. Save it and let it sync.
16 weeks 4 days ago
- I am thinking about a new BlackBerry Z30. I know that's not the most popular choice, but I had a couple BlackBerry devices in the past and liked them, then I switched to Android as the “app gap” became greater and BlackBerry hardware started to lag as well.
28 weeks 1 day ago
- If you are still using Chrome, I’ve noticed over the past week or so that a little speaker icon now appears on whatever tab is playing music or a video. It’s one of those little things that makes a bigger difference than I would have expected. No more clicking tabs and scrolling around trying to find the source of my annoyance.
31 weeks 2 days ago
- Is there a way to turn off the camera “click” sound when taking a photo with an Android phone running 4.1? Whenever I’m trying to take pictures of my kids doing funny stuff, they often stop when they hear the camera.
31 weeks 4 days ago
- I know that it is early in, but it seems as if I’m hearing a lot more buzz about the PS4 than the XBox One. It makes a difference over the life of a console, since developers are more likely to release console exclusives for the console that is doing best. Is Sony pulling away from Nintendo and Microsoft with the PS4?
37 weeks 4 days ago
- Sorry, I’m pretty sure the speakers have to have either SPDIF optical input or analog input.
40 weeks 2 days ago
- How can I download an entire website (all the pages)? I’m using a Windows 7 PC.
47 weeks 6 days ago
- You can use Adobe Acrobat IX to password protect PDFs if you use Outlook. Not sure if it will do the same for non-Office applications though.
1 year 12 weeks ago
- Refurbished isn't the same as remanufactured, just FYI, since I noticed you used both terms in your question. Refurbished basically means somebody made sure it works - replaced a switch or battery or whatever. Remanufactured means returned to as new condition.
1 year 42 weeks ago
1 year 44 weeks ago
- My department has a blog on WordPress. It's primarily to keep team members and customers up to date on nonproprietary developments that could affect the business, but we also want to drive some traffic to our main website.
2 years 3 weeks ago
- I agree. Some of the early 64-bit Macs sometimes have 32-bit graphics drivers and that is causing the compatibility issue. If you can figure out whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit EFI, you should be able to tell whether you are good to go or not.
2 years 6 weeks ago
- Well, it is SQL based data analytics in the Cloud. Whether it is properly Big Data may be debatable, since to me that suggests data scientists collecting and figuring out how to analyze data at a macro level. But BigQuery is certainly data analytics, and that is a valuable tool for almost any business, if utilized properly.
2 years 11 weeks ago
- While discussing mobile OSes today (android is better, not iOS is better, no android is.........) my android loving office mate threw me a curveball by arguing that it was easy to improve android battery life through overclocking. Huh? That is totally counterintuitive to me.
2 years 11 weeks ago
- I haven't overclocked one myself, but the one thing that I would keep an eye on is heat. From the factory, Ivy Bridge processors seem to run pretty warm, and from what others have said, once you start OCing them they get hot.
2 years 14 weeks ago
- I guess the short answer is that it is only as important as the interviewer thinks it is. If that is me, it is of zero importance, but opinions obviously differ.
2 years 15 weeks ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.