- Has a great deal of experience with your company and industry.
- Has a willingness to take on the entire solution.
- Has a proven track record in meeting your expectations.
- Has experience with public and private cloud resources.
- Has the capacity to handle traditional data repositories and real-time data streaming.
In short, this isn't a do-it-yourself kind of problem. You need someone with experience, history, reliability and a reputation you can trust.
Only a handful of vendors will meet those criteria. Pick wisely.
Rob Enderle is president and principal analyst of the Enderle Group. Previously, he was the Senior Research Fellow for Forrester Research and the Giga Information Group. Prior to that he worked for IBM and held positions in Internal Audit, Competitive Analysis, Marketing, Finance and Security. Currently, Enderle writes on emerging technology, security and Linux for a variety of publications and appears on national news TV shows that include CNBC, FOX, Bloomberg and NPR.
Read more about big data in CIO's Big Data Drilldown.