- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: March 2012
Areas of Interest:
- How can I find all of the folders on a Windows 8 PC that are shared with other computers/devices on the network?
1 week 3 days ago
- How can I find which VPSs don’t keep logs?
4 weeks 5 days ago
- Are the terms pretty much interchangeable, or is there an actual hardware difference between the two?
8 weeks 6 days ago
- I’m looking for antivirus software for Windows 8 that doesn’t have a significant impact on system performance. Any suggestions?
11 weeks 6 days ago
- They have to find an itch that needs scratching. I do not see a compelling purpose for most wearables at this point. Most of them simply provide a different UI to perform some of the same functions as a smartphone, or they simply interface with a phone that the wearer is also carrying.
14 weeks 3 days ago
- Apple apparently announced that they are making changes to iCloud. I’m not an Apple user personally, but I’ve had to help out a friend of mine who is not at all tech savvy a few times, and when I had to deal with iCloud it seemed more like a second tier product. That’s not what I would have expected from Apple.
14 weeks 4 days ago
- You just have to uncheck all the boxes in the AutoFormat box. To do that: A. Click on the “File” tab. B. Select “Options” on the File screen. C. Select “Proofing” on the left on the window. D. Click on the “AutoCorrect Options” button.
17 weeks 1 day ago
- What software should I use to open .emz files? I'm using a Windows 7 PC.
17 weeks 6 days ago
- I have been following the story of the Amazon purchaser who was threatened with a lawsuit after posting a negative online review of a Medialink Router for a couple of days. I actually saw the original post yesterday on Reddit when the reviewer posted the letter from Medialink’s lawyer threatening to sue him.
18 weeks 6 days ago
- Microsoft made “a one time exception” to patch the current Internet Explorer zero day exploit for Windows XP, even though support for XP has ended. I’m wondering if this may have unintended consequences.
20 weeks 11 hours ago
- Lately, every time I start Firefox I get a message that says “you’ve been updated to the latest version of Firefox.” I know that Firefox updates automatically on a frequent basis, but not this frequently. If I started it 5 times in an hour I would get 5 update messages. This isn’t that big of a deal, but it is a little annoying.
22 weeks 1 hour ago
- The advice runs the gamut. Change all of your passwords immediately. Don’t change any of your passwords immediately because they will just be immediately exposed. Personally, II would wait until I was sure the website I was going to change passwords on was fixed before doing so.
23 weeks 15 hours ago
- The first thing is that Cortana is like a memory come to life for people who played Halo on the Xbox. Cortana was like a virtual person who helped Master Chief in the single player game. Siri doesn’t have that kind of street cred with me - Cortana and I have a history.
23 weeks 15 hours ago
- I don’t think there is a way to do it built into Docs. There is an add-on called VexTab that has ok reviews. It also support tabliture, which might be of interest to you judging from your avatar. Open a Doc file, and click the “add-on” tab at the top of the page, then select “get add-ons”.
27 weeks 19 hours ago
- What are some good practices to avoid installing Android apps that aren’t malware, but play fast and loose with your privacy and information?
29 weeks 6 days ago
- I’m not sure why Apple is pulling them off, and they haven’t given any reason. They have also removed a couple of other wallet apps that weren’t Bitcoin. I strongly suspect that they are developing their own wallet app/system and don’t want any competition, but that’s speculation on my part.
31 weeks 6 days ago
- After getting a Windows Security Alert, I went into control panel>system and security>action panel, where it shows that “Windows Security Center service is turned off.” When I try to turn it on by clicking the “turn on now” box, I get a pop-up window that says “Security Center can’t be started.” Any ideas how I can fix this?
32 weeks 1 day ago
- I know many, many people use terrible passwords. I try to make mine both something I can remember and reasonably strong. What do you use to objectively evaluate the strength (or weakness) of your passwords?
35 weeks 1 day ago
- Do any companies really make better, as in more reliable, laptops? I’m in the market for a PC, not a Mac, so “get a Mac” doesn’t help since it just isn't within the budget.
38 weeks 3 days ago
- blackdog asks Does how companies treat government request for personal data influence who you do business with?In the past week, I’ve read about Microsoft, Yahoo and Google taking steps to make it harder for the Government to spy on citizens, while AT&T tries to avoid answering shareholder questions about providing data to the governments.
40 weeks 3 days ago
- Yes, you can do it. In addition to the services Hancockt pointed out, privenot.com and quickforget.com are two other choices.
43 weeks 18 hours ago
- It might be your sound card, but it also could be bad electrical wiring or something causing electromagnetic interference. If your sound card has poor shielding, it can cause exactly this “crackling” sound if there is a source of EMF nearby.
43 weeks 18 hours ago
- You can use a few different tools for this. You can purchase software, but I usually just use a website, brokenlinkcheck.com. It works pretty well, and is free.
43 weeks 6 days ago
- blackdog answers Re: How do you feel about Google forcing YouTube commenters to have a Google+ account?Google was almost forced to take this step, and I am fine with it. It’s one of those situations where a minority of people have screwed it up for everyone. There are people on there that literally encourage teens with poor self image to kill themselves. Many, many comment threads devolve into a series of personal attacks on each other.
44 weeks 2 days ago
- From what I’ve seen, the 2nd gen Google Glass looks pretty much like the first gen version, except with optional ear bud. What else is different? Also, are they still only going to be available by invite only?
46 weeks 15 hours ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.