- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: March 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Sure, Python is still used pretty widely. I found a list of some of the internet companies that use Python to give you an idea. Some of these include reddit, Digg, Mozilla, Pinterest (django), and Yelp, among others. It definitely isn't just a space filler on your resume.
40 weeks 1 day ago
41 weeks 4 hours ago
- Will Apple winning an Austin Powers-esque One Billion Dollars in its lawsuit against Samsung have any impact on the wider smartphone/android marketplace, or were Apple's claims specific to Samsung? I know Google had a press release saying that this verdict doesn't apply to android OS, but I reckon that they would say that either way.
42 weeks 1 day ago
- It's a pretty minor change, and I think they changed it to look like their new "Metro" design, or whatever it is they are calling it these days. I'd wager than most people won't even notice that it is different, since they just took the old "waving flag" logo and squared it off so that it looks like tiles in Windows 8.
42 weeks 5 days ago
- For the first time in a while, I've actually been able to use impressed in a sentence about Yahoo without an accompanying eye roll and the inflection of a 15 year old being sarcastic. I'm pleasantly surprised by the choice of Google employee #20, Marissa Mayer, to be the new CEO of Yahoo.
48 weeks 1 day ago
- I know that "stuff happens", but when I read Amazon's explanation of why it had service failures during the recent power outages, I was left shaking my head.
49 weeks 5 days ago
- Yep, I agree, it sounds like he was using Chrome to Phone. Since it was released a few months ago, I have been using it all the time. You have to install the extension on your Chrome browser (and yes, you have to use Chrome) and install the app on your Android device.
49 weeks 6 days ago
- About the only impact I noticed was I had problems with Reddit. Apparently there were some issues with Java and some Linux servers, but I'm not sure how widespread they were. There was also a bug report from Mozilla that said they were having problems with Hadoop, which makes since in light of the Java issues.
50 weeks 1 day ago
- I think that it remains to be seen exactly. It know that MicroSoft is releasing 4 distinct editions, including "Windows Enterprise".
1 year 1 day ago
- blackdog answers Re: How can you set Safari to warn you each time you access an insecure wireless connection?
1 year 5 days ago
- About 18 months ago, my company eliminated a number of IT positions in a cost cutting maneuver. We were not overstaffed, by any means, but the people that made the decisions didn't pay any attention to my concerns.
1 year 1 week ago
- I think the main thing that makes it unique is Larry Ellison is talking about it. He is not the most modest guy, which I suppose you would expect from the CEO of a huge corporation. Basically, the main thing I got from Ellison's talk is that he is concerned about SAP, because he couldn't seem to say enough negative about it.
1 year 1 week ago
- blackdog asks Does the Flame malware that was reported in the Middle East have any wider security implications?I don't know much about the Flame malware that was reported last week beyond the "facts" that it was probably designed by the US and/or Israeli governments, it targeted Iran and it was a large piece of software. What, if any, new threats does it introduce that require additional security steps for businesses here in the US?
1 year 2 weeks ago
- I don't know the exact percentages, but I think that it is fair to say that the majority of individuals in IT are male. Why is this the situation? I work at a pretty progressive company, and even here, I would guess the ratio is 4 males for every 1 female in IT. At best.
1 year 4 weeks ago
- blackdog answers Re: Does data centre co-location still make sense for a SMB, or is it time to just go directly for the cloud?Both are going to offer some of the same advantages. There is usually going to be a cost savings compared to building your own data room or data center either with co-location or a cloud provider.
1 year 4 weeks ago
- 2 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.