- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2011
Areas of Interest:
- Help, I’m a Business Analyst and I just lost my job. My company just closed and everyone working there was just told to go home. What should I do first to get a new job?
2 days 3 hours ago
- I had the great pleasure of speaking with Jim Maholic, a VP in Hitachi Consulting’s Management Consulting and Industries Practice. We discussed how to identify, calculate and communicate the value of large scale IT projects, based on Jim’s book “Business Cases that Mean Business”.
1 week 6 days ago
- I’ve been in IT for about four years as an individual contributor and would like to be a CIO one day. How do I get there?
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Help! My resume looks great, my job experience is right on target, and I have great references. My problem is whenever I do a phone-based interview or job screening, they never call me back. How can I improve my phone-based interviews?
4 weeks 4 days ago
- My daughter just graduated college with a degree in Computer Science and landed a job with an insurance company in their IT department. What makes an IT person successful?
5 weeks 1 day ago
- I am an accountant with over eight years experience in banking financial control and wish to change my career and move into IT. I just do not know exactly where to begin the journey.
5 weeks 6 days ago
- I have been an individual contributor for almost five years and would like to become a manager. What class should I take to get the management skills I need to be promoted?
7 weeks 2 days ago
- I recently graduated from a technical school with the goal of changing careers and entering the IT field. I have a little IT professional experience and my A+ certification. Any tips on finding a job?
8 weeks 22 hours ago
- The combination of programming and database skills are not only a wonderful combination from a software development perspective, it also has the potential to pivot you into other technical areas.
9 weeks 1 day ago
- I had the incredible pleasure of speaking with AARP CIO Terry Bradwell. From a CIO’s perspective, he is living the dream and, in my eyes, is a role model for all IT professionals, from the newest intern to the most experienced CIO. This is what he said and how it can help you in your career.
9 weeks 6 days ago
- I have a BS in IT Engineering, my CCNA certification, and am currently studying for my CCNP. I’m also in a post graduate program in network engineering. My graduate classes seem out of date and boring. I don’t have time to do both, should I prepare for the CCNP exam or continue my university studies?
11 weeks 1 day ago
- I have been working on the Help Desk for about five years. I’d like to expand my skills and have been thinking about learning more about supporting mobile devices. Do you think this is a good idea? If yes, what should I learn?
12 weeks 2 days ago
- Great IT Client service is much more than just fixing someone’s PC, writing the software they specifically request, flawlessly execute nightly production, and/or provide a stable general computing environment. These are, of course, incredibly important and the basis of IT’s value to the organization, but they are not the whole story.
13 weeks 2 days ago
- As the worlds of IT and business continue to converge, the more important it becomes to provide quality client service.
14 weeks 23 hours ago
- Help! I’m a talented programmer with great experience and a good professional track record. I’ve also been job hunting for months and still can’t find a job. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
15 weeks 22 hours ago
- Mentors can help navigate the professional as well as the technical side of an IT career.
16 weeks 3 hours ago
- I had the pleasure of speaking with Jean Dobey, the CEO and Founder of www.Hibe.com and Tim Morris, the firm’s VP of Marketing and Business Development. Our discussion centered around entrepreneurship as a profession and finding the right idea to start your company.
17 weeks 1 day ago
- In last week’s column we discussed four technology related tips and four ways to properly prepare you and your surrounding for Skype based call. This week we will provide additional tips related to screen logistics, interview delivery, and post call activities.
18 weeks 1 day ago
- Next week I have a job interview via Skype. I’ve done phone-based interviews, but never using Skype. Anything I should or shouldn’t do?
18 weeks 6 days ago
- Moving from a first line management role (IT Manager) to a manager of managers (IT Director), is a bigger professional transition than you may think.
19 weeks 5 days ago
- Moving from the player/coach type role of Technical Lead into an IT Manager role moves you from technical leadership to a position of department stewardship and technical mentor.
21 weeks 11 hours ago
- For concrete examples and an action plan, check out the 80/20 Rule of Information Security that my team did as a public service to the community. You can find it here: http://microsolved.com/?page_id=291
21 weeks 2 days ago
- Congratulations on becoming a Subject Matter Expert (SME), you are now a recognized expert in your chosen profession. So what’s next?
22 weeks 1 day ago
- This column came about due to the convergence of two forces. The first force is the number of questions that I receive on an ongoing basis specifically related to Cisco certifications. The second force was having the pleasure of speaking with Tejas Vashi and Danny Tomic regarding Cisco’s new security certification training programs.
22 weeks 6 days ago
- I’m currently unemployed and would like to find a job in the data security area. I’m currently enrolled in a part-time IT degree program at a local college, but really need a job now to pay the bills.
24 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 6