- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- I've stuck with Windows 7 instead of "upgrading" to Windows 8. I've seen conflicting information as to when Microsoft will cease Windows 7 support, including one source that says 2015 (which seems awfully soon). When does support officially stop?
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Let me clarify - I use the Chrome browser both at home and at work. I log into the browser so I have access to all the same bookmarks and setting where ever I am. Welcome to the future, and all that.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- I was on my laptop, and a command prompt box popped up with "files being copied........". I closed my browser, disconnected from WiFi, and ran a fresh virus scan after making sure my anti-virus (AVG) was up to date. I couldn't find any problems, and nothing came up on my scans. Any ideas what caused this?
6 weeks 2 days ago
- As my avatar suggests, I have worn glasses since I was a little kid. I know it will be a while before most of us can get Google Glass, but does anyone know if they are (it is) compatible with prescription glasses?
9 weeks 6 days ago
- How can I make sure the color/brightness/contrast/etc. of my monitor is calibrated properly? I don't want to waste time trying to balance everything for my monitor only to find out I've been changing images to compensate for my incorrectly calibrated display.
10 weeks 2 days ago
- How can I install apps that aren't from Google Play?
14 weeks 5 days ago
- NAS and SAN are both network storage, right? What's the difference between the two? Are they pretty much the same thing?
15 weeks 1 day ago
- I see the two terms software and client used interchangeably pretty often. This may be a stupid question, but are they actually synonymous, or when the term client is used, is it referring to a specific type of software?
19 weeks 2 days ago
- A safe bet for most people would be either a $10 Google Play or iTunes gift card. Except that Apple made it $15 minimum for the iTunes gift card, so you better like those people 50% more.
22 weeks 6 days ago
- Thanks for the help all. I'm going to give it a go this weekend when I have some spare time. It doesn't sound too difficult for me to handle.
24 weeks 21 hours ago
- I'm a fan of anime and have quite a few dvds of it, some of which a buddy of mine in the marines got for me when he was stationed in Japan. I have a desktop at home running Windows 7. When I tried to watch them on my desktop, Media Player would tell me they are region locked and that I needed to switch to region 2. Ok, no biggie.
24 weeks 1 day ago
- I've got an old Windows Vista PC that I was thinking of using as a guinea pig for my first Ubuntu experience. I know practically nothing about Ubuntu really. Come to think of it, I guess that makes me the guinea pig instead of the PC. How do I install Ubuntu? I remember that you used to be able to get a CD. Can you still do that?
26 weeks 19 hours ago
- I'm in. I'm not naturally a Nintendo gamer, I was a Sega guy, then PlayStation and XBox. But when I had my first child, I took a new approach to gaming, and that meant a shift to Nintendo.
26 weeks 5 days ago
- bralphye answers Re: Why does my network printer require a restart every time we try to print a document?Sorry, I spaced on including the printer model, it's an HP Laserjet, but I can't remember the specific model off the top of my head. Our office is closed today due to power outages, so I can't check it.
29 weeks 22 hours ago
- I have a problem with a printer that is connected to our office network through a USB cable to one of the workstations (which is running Windows XP). The printer almost seems to go into standby after it has been on for a bit. I do a manual restart of the printer and then it works fine. Funny thing is that it used to work.
29 weeks 2 days ago
- No way, and unless it was something extraordinarily time sensitive (ex., tsunami will arrive in 12 minutes, call Ironman ASAP), I would think it was an incredible example of narcissism from an individual.
32 weeks 2 days ago
- bralphye asks What's the best alternative to Apple's Maps on the iPhone 5 until Apple gets things sorted out?My girlfriend bought a new iPhone 5 and after all of the negative press about the Maps, she wants to use something else until Apple fixes it. I would have said Google Maps, but without a native app, that may not be the best option. What's the best choice among the Map alternatives for the iPhone 5?
33 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there an easy way to be able to access my Gmail contacts when I'm offline? I travel pretty often in the mountains, and a lot of times I am nowhere near being able to get a signal for my smartphone or wireless hotspot.
34 weeks 2 days ago
- bralphye answers Re: How much of a difference in upload/download speeds is there among cloud services?You might find this useful. It's not a comprehensive test, but it includes quite a few cloud services. The numbers seem awfully low though. http://blog.cloudharmony.com/2010/02/cloud-speed-test-results.html
34 weeks 6 days ago
- There have been stories about the Romney presidential campaign and the artificially inflated number of twitter followers after that number spiked from about 650,000 to 800,000 literally overnight (after a long period of steady increase of about 3,500 a day).
38 weeks 5 days ago
- bralphye answers Re: What are the chances that you can recover a lost smartphone using a locator feature?
41 weeks 2 days ago
- I think the enforced brevity of message is one of the great things about Twitter. But why are the limited to 140 characters, instead of say, 200 or something? Was it just a random decision, or is there a logical basis for that being the limit?
47 weeks 19 hours ago
- Males have traditionally been over-represented in science, math and engineering fields. However, this is changing, with females now constituting the majority of college graduates. There is also decreased social pressure for gender specific occupations.
1 year 20 hours ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.