- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- The latest NSA revelations concern the agency physically installing backdoors that allow them to monitor machines even when they are not connected to the internet. How would this work? How can they monitor something that isn’t online?
13 weeks 6 days ago
- I don’t like the idea of having everything I do online being watched and stored, but I’m not really comfortable using TOR. It’s confusing and I’m afraid I might accidentally compromise my PC’s security because I’m using it. Is there anything that is as effective but easier for someone who is only moderately tech savvy to use?
17 weeks 5 days ago
- Obviously, this is going to be very specific to what you do and where you are, but the Surface RT should be available for under $250. It runs Windows RT, which may not be ideal, but if you are like most small businesses, you have a Windows environment so it should be more useful than an iOS or Android tablet for similar prices.
21 weeks 18 hours ago
- I’ve always heard it as a rule to follow, but have never been certain why it is a bad idea to use a vacuum to clean out a dusty old PC. It’s isn’t as if there are a lot of loose components that are going to be sucked up, and I’m careful enough that I wouldn’t bang around.
23 weeks 13 hours ago
- bralphye asks Would it still make sense to buy a PS3 or X360 with the new generation machines just around the corner?I came across a 500Gb Playstation 3 at the local video game shop for $150, including a used game. A new PS4 will cost $400, and a new XBox One will be $500. I’ve missed this generation of gaming (except for a Wii, and I still have an original XBox and GameCube though). Will it be a waste of money to buy a PS3 this late in the product cycle?
26 weeks 2 days ago
- I have a DSL connection at home and a 2Wire router, and occasionally the signal just goes away, then is reestablished a few seconds later. It’s not the end of the world, but it is annoying. Is it more likely to be my ISP or my router?
27 weeks 21 hours ago
- bralphye asks What’s the difference between Google+ Local Business Page and Google Places for Business?From what I can see, if you establish either, it will cause pretty much the same information to be available as a Google search result. Is there an advantage to one over the other, or does a company need both? We are a small business, so everything we do means that we are devoting some of our limited resources in time and effort towards it.
32 weeks 1 day ago
- What are the most effective measures of whether or not SEO is working? I know traffic is one important metric, but what else should you look at?
35 weeks 4 days ago
- I heard about someone being shocked by an iPhone in China for the second time this week. And no, I do not mean that they were pleasantly surprised by some rad feature on the device, I mean “ZAP!” electric shock. What could be causing it to happen?
39 weeks 4 days ago
- You aren’t the only person with this question apparently. I think this could help you out: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word...
41 weeks 1 day ago
- There is a good chance glare is causing your eyestrain problem. The first thing I would try is one of those anti-glare screen covers. They costs $30+, but if it solves your problem it would be worth it. If you wear glasses, make sure you get anti-glare coating on your lenses.
41 weeks 1 day ago
- bralphye answers Re: Which is the more effective online advertising method, Google Display or AdWords?It
41 weeks 5 days ago
- I inserted an object in a paper I’m writing, and everything I move text around the object moves. I just want it to stay in the same place. Why is is moving during editing?
43 weeks 6 days ago
- Sure, you can do it, and it is easy. Here is a video that walks you through the steps. Rock on.
46 weeks 2 days ago
- Ouya has had better publicity and Playstick costs about $20 less. Also, Playstick was developed by game developers (couldn’t think of a way to say that without developers 2x). That could mean good 1st party games a la Nintendo, although we’ll have to wait and see. Other than that, I don’t see any huge differences.
46 weeks 2 days ago
46 weeks 5 days ago
- I've stuck with Windows 7 instead of "upgrading" to Windows 8. I've seen conflicting information as to when Microsoft will cease Windows 7 support, including one source that says 2015 (which seems awfully soon). When does support officially stop?
51 weeks 22 hours ago
- Let me clarify - I use the Chrome browser both at home and at work. I log into the browser so I have access to all the same bookmarks and setting where ever I am. Welcome to the future, and all that.
1 year 4 days ago
- I was on my laptop, and a command prompt box popped up with "files being copied........". I closed my browser, disconnected from WiFi, and ran a fresh virus scan after making sure my anti-virus (AVG) was up to date. I couldn't find any problems, and nothing came up on my scans. Any ideas what caused this?
1 year 2 weeks ago
- As my avatar suggests, I have worn glasses since I was a little kid. I know it will be a while before most of us can get Google Glass, but does anyone know if they are (it is) compatible with prescription glasses?
1 year 5 weeks ago
- How can I make sure the color/brightness/contrast/etc. of my monitor is calibrated properly? I don't want to waste time trying to balance everything for my monitor only to find out I've been changing images to compensate for my incorrectly calibrated display.
1 year 6 weeks ago
- How can I install apps that aren't from Google Play?
1 year 10 weeks ago
- NAS and SAN are both network storage, right? What's the difference between the two? Are they pretty much the same thing?
1 year 10 weeks ago
- I see the two terms software and client used interchangeably pretty often. This may be a stupid question, but are they actually synonymous, or when the term client is used, is it referring to a specific type of software?
1 year 15 weeks ago
- A safe bet for most people would be either a $10 Google Play or iTunes gift card. Except that Apple made it $15 minimum for the iTunes gift card, so you better like those people 50% more.
1 year 18 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.