April 05, 2010, 4:34 PM — Not all IT jobs are created equal. According to Computerworld's 2010 Salary Survey, an IT worker in the defense industry, for example, could be earning as much as 4% more than a peer in a similar job in the the retail sector.
The survey showed the top 5 industries for IT pay were defense/aerospace (overall compensation up 2.9%), biotechnology (up 2.2%), government (up 1.8%), education (up 1.4%) and health/medical services (up 1.4%).
The industries that had the biggest decreases in total compensation were mining/agriculture/construction (down 2.5%), wholesale trade (down 2.0%), transportation/logistics (down 1.6%), noncomputer manufacturing (down 1.4%) and retail trade (down 1.0%).
The defense/aerospace industry saw bonuses increase by 19% with a salary increase of 2.2%. Also, in the government sector, bonuses increased by 13% with a salary increase of 1.5%.
The largest average decreases in bonuses were in the industries of mining/agriculture/construction (down 19.0%), banking (down 17.9%), transportation/logistics (down 17.4%), legal/insurance/real estate (down 13.2%), wholesale trade (down 12.9%), telecommunications (down 12.5%) and the retail trade industry (down 10.8%).
Here's a sampling of IT job titles and industries, and corresponding pay for each:
- IT manager: $102,075
- Project manager: $98,650
- Software engineer: $88,964
- Systems administrator: $76,724
- Software developer: $76,156
- Help desk/tech support specialist: $61,354
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $150,861
- Director of IT: $95,824<
- IT manager: $70,914
- Systems administrator: $63,520
- Network administrator*: $58,384
- Help desk/tech support specialist: $43,864
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $134,325
- Director of IT: $101,997
- IT manager: $79,613
- Systems administrator: $77,663
- Network administrator*: $70,059
- Help desk/tech support specialist*: $53,439
Legal & insurance
- CIO/vice president of IT*: $180,137
- Director of IT*: $119,800
- Systems architect*: $112,422
- IT manager: $101,757
- Programmer/analyst*: $79,052
- Systems administrator*: $72,996