The mini hub, patch cables, and printer shared via direct network are all good. I haven't heard from the guy again, but if I do I'm bringing a polygraph and Dr. Phil.
Fallout: Several days of lost or impeded productivity that could have easily been avoided.
Moral: Users lie to IT staff. It's a fact of life. Take the time to get friendly with these folks and the likelihood of those instances goes way down.
- Jackass IT: Stunts, idiocy, and hero hacks
- Stupid user tricks 4: IT horror never ends
- Stupid user tricks 3: IT admin follies
- True IT confessions
- The 2010 InfoWorld Geek IQ Test
- The dirt locker: Dirty duty on the front lines of IT
- IT personality types: 8 profiles in geekdom
- Faith in numbers: Six more tech cults
- A-Teams of IT: How to build a crack strike force
Read more about adventures in IT in InfoWorld's Adventures in IT Channel.