• Mobile Computing: The ability to use a computer from any location with or without a connection to a physical network to retrieve, create, and/or distribute information
• BYOD (Bring Your Own Device): When employees bring their personal devices to work and use them within the workplace as part of the organization’s technical platform and infrastructure
• Consumerization of IT: An expression used to describe consumer-related technology purchasing trends that find their way into corporate computing environments and infrastructure
• Content-based Marketing: A social media based marketing strategy for companies that market their products and enhance their brand by providing quality information related to their products
• Social Media Monitoring: Watching/listening to what consumers are saying online about their company, products, and brand
• Big Data Analytics: The process of examining large quantities of data in a variety of formats to discover hidden patterns, correlations and other useful information. This information can then be used to provide competitive advantages, enhance current products, enter new markets, and other business endeavors
• Data Visualization: The process of visually representing data in a way that provides meaning to the viewer; its goal is to communicate information clearly through graphical means
Technology specific IT Megatrends
• Big Data: Data that is so large and complex that it becomes difficult or impossible to process using conventional database management tools
• Machine-Generated Data: Data that is created by machines, without human intervention
• Cloud Computing: Large general-purpose, scalable computers, accessible via the internet (or company’s intranet network), used to serve multiple organizations
• Virtualization: The logical separation of software from the underlying physical device on which it is processed
• Green Computing: The practice of creating and running efficient and eco-friendly data centers
If you have any questions about your career in IT, please email me at
eric@ManagerMechanics.com or find me on Twitter at @EricPBloom.
Until next time, work hard, work smart, and continue to build your professional brand.
Read more of Eric Bloom's Your IT Career blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Eric on Twitter at @EricPBloom. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.