As for specific career advice related to our discussion, Bryan suggested the following:
• Focus on delivering a quality experience to your users, not just on the technical aspects of your assignments.
• Think like an entrepreneur as to how your company’s data and system infrastructure can be used to enhance the customer experience and your company’s business goals in general.
• Be innovative in your thinking as to what is possible.
• Understand the importance of “Transaction Identity” as you create API based solutions. It is this identity that will enhance the value of the applications you develop, providing a ready-to-use repository of transaction statistics that can be used as the basis for business analytics.
• Understand that the users you serve are your business partners.
• Be a digital strategist by continually thinking of ways your company’s data and systems can be used to business competitive advantage.
Bryan Kirschner and Apigee Institute, a research and strategy organization at Apigee dedicated to helping Global 2000 companies extend their leadership in today's app economy, can be found at http://pages.apigee.com/institute.html.
Apigee, a company specializing in providing a digital business platform that helps businesses become leaders in the mobile -first digital world through big data analytics integrated with app and API digital infrastructure, can be found at www.apigee.com.
If you have any questions about your career in IT, please email me at
eric@ManagerMechanics.com or find me on Twitter at @EricPBloom.
Until next time, work hard, work smart, and continue to build your professional brand.
Read more of Eric Bloom's Your IT Career blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Eric on Twitter at @EricPBloom. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.