- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- SIP (Session Initiated Protocol) Trunking is the used to make VoIP calls, so it is a component of VoIP, but not VoIP itself. You can read a more thorough explanation here: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/sip-trunking-providers.htm
18 hours 55 min ago
- The easiest way is to connect your guitar directly to the line-in/mic jack using an adaptor. It’s also going to sound pretty terrible, so don’t do it. A much better option is a guitar to USB interface. It will sound much better and I think you will be far happier with the results. Behringer makes some inexpensive ones that cost less than $50.
1 week 1 day ago
- I think it’s easy for people to forget how complex computers really are, and how many processes are going on at any given moment. To keep everything in RAM precisely the way it ideally should be is nearly impossible, and when a computer is left running for days it becomes even harder.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- A viewport metatag does improve the experience for mobile visitors to your website.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- To answer the second part of your question, yes, Office 365 is HIPAA compliant. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/business/office-365-security-and-priva...
6 weeks 20 hours ago
- The jury is certainly still out as to whether NoSQL will replace SQL. SQL is without a doubt much more widely used than NoSQL at the moment. Will that change in the future? Perhaps, perhaps not. There is an argument that non-relational databases (NoSQL) are better suited to large companies/organizations.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- From an earlier discussion on networking-forum:
8 weeks 3 days ago
- A bill titled the Smartphone Theft Prevention Act was just introduced in the US Senate.
8 weeks 3 days ago
- First off, I’m not so sure you should use the term “friend” if they actually are spying on you. Apart from that, it is possible that you are being remotely monitored. On the other hand, malware/spyware that has nothing to do with this person could potentially be responsible for the issue you describe. I would be concerned about this, certainly.
9 weeks 20 hours ago
- As far as I know, you can’t do this with guest extensions, but you can set up file sharing on your guest and then access the folder using the virtual network between the guest and host.
9 weeks 21 hours ago
- You can get around this pretty easily. Copy the contents of the fully designed page and paste that in a new blank document. After that, apply the template to the new document, and save the new document over the old one.
9 weeks 1 day ago
- Apple has removed all of the Bitcoin wallet apps from its App Store, and I don’t understand why. There is nothing illegal about Bitcoins, although much of the press about Bitcoins has been about people using them to do illegal things. Why won’t Apple allow Bitcoin apps to stay on the App Store?
10 weeks 12 hours ago
- I heard a lot about Tizen, Samsung’s proprietary OS for smartphones and tablets, last year, but I haven’t seen any ads or anything else indicating that it is actually going to reach the market. Is Tizen really a serious effort at an alternative OS by Samsung, and if so, when are Tizen devices going to be available?
10 weeks 2 days ago
- One way to do it is go to GS Lookup and enter your Snapchat username. It will show if your username was in the 4.6 million accounts that were compromised. Just be wary of any sites that propose to check this for you and ask for any additional information. It is not necessary, and could even be a phishing attempt.
11 weeks 20 hours ago
- In my experience it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model (and possibly carrier). For instance, on Motorola RAZR m and Bionic, you can go to camera settings and uncheck the box for “shutter sound.” I think both of those are running Android 4.1, but I’m not certain.
12 weeks 2 days ago
- Yes, as JimLynch noted, but it requires some effort and, in my opinion, Flash should go away anyway. Keep in mind that it is no longer officially supported for Android, so you can't count on security vulerabilities getting patched.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- Nintendo issued guidance that dramatically decreased anticipated sales numbers across almost all of their product line. For example, Wii U sales projections were revised downward from 9 million units to 2.8 million units! Most importantly, the company changed a projected profit of $100 million to a projected loss of $240 million.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- I pulled the battery on my LG Android phone, and it looked as if it had a SIM card, but I was told that it did not have a SIM, it had a UICC card instead. My phone is on a CDMA carrier, and as far as I know only GSM networks use a SIM card, so it makes sense that mine is not one. What is a UICC card used for?
16 weeks 3 days ago
- Here are directions from Apple: Devices using iOS 7.0.3 or later: Go to Settings > Safari> Passwords & Autofill > Saved Passwords. Tap the website whose password you want to view. Enter your device passcode.
17 weeks 2 days ago
- CAPTCHA does its job, I suppose, in that it does make it harder for spammers to use bots, but I don’t know anyone who really loves it. Has anyone found an effective alternative that is better liked but still effectively thwarts spambots?
19 weeks 16 hours ago
- Actually, U-Verse is a variant of DSL. Of course, AT&T makes it sounds like something else entirely, but it really isn’t. They will tell you if you actually ask them, to be fair. Your “old” AT&T DSL is ADSL, while your shiny new U-Verse is VDSL. You need a new modem because the firmware of the old one is not compatible with VDSL.
19 weeks 1 day ago
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with a USB cable. iTunes should open, then choose your device (under “Devices”) in iTunes. Click on “check for update” and it should tell you if an update is available. If so, click “Download and Update” and go get a beer.
19 weeks 1 day ago
- I have always preferred inverted control/UI movement, probably because of all the video games I played as a kid, but also because I think of it like flying a plane (pull back to go up). How can I make the direction that the mouse scroll wheel moved the cursor inverted from “standard?”
19 weeks 5 days ago
- Probably the cheapest and easiest way is to download all of your Gmail messages to a desktop email client such as Mozilla Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail.
20 weeks 6 days ago
- Google may be adding the capability of RAW format to Android camera, although this hasn’t been officially confirmed. I don’t think I’ve ever used RAW format before. What is the difference between RAW and JPEG?
21 weeks 3 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.