- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: February 2014
Areas of Interest:
- I saw a reference to an OTG cable in an answer to an older question. So…what’s is an OTG cable and what do you use it for?
2 weeks 2 days ago
- I heard the term SDE used today, and when I asked what it was I was told “Software Defined Everything.” Um, ok, but what is Software Defined Everything? It sounds like a pretty broad term.
6 weeks 6 days ago
- I’ve always tried to keep my passwords reasonably strong but still something I could remember when I didn’t have access to a password manager. With all of the “reset your password immediately” warnings lately due to data breaches, that is becoming harder and harder for me.
13 weeks 25 min ago
- It seems like the struggle to protect a modicum of online privacy is a never ending battle. Facebook announced it plans to gather user browsing history for use in targeted advertising. Short of deleting my account, is there anything I can do to stop them from doing this?
13 weeks 5 days ago
- How can I use Google Maps offline on my Android phone when I am in areas of poor or no data coverage?
18 weeks 1 day ago
- I took some videos in MP4 format on a flash drive over to a friend’s. I knew he had a MacBook, but I didn’t realize it was one of the old white plastic ones. You know the ones….big gap at bottom of screen where the plastic is sagged/stretched, crack around trackpad, cracks on rear corners.
20 weeks 2 hours ago
- I’m a little confused about VoIP telephony terminology, specifically the term “SIP Trunking.”. Is SIP Trunking just another way to say VoIP, or does it refer to something else?
22 weeks 54 min ago
- The easiest way is to use cloning software, of which there are many options. I like Clonezilla and DriveImage XML, both of which are available for free.
23 weeks 8 hours ago
- What can be done to minimize the risk of the Heartbleed bug while online? How significant is the security risk to the average internet user?
23 weeks 9 hours ago
- I have a couple of decent monitors that aren’t being used, and I would like to hook them up to my Windows 7 laptop (Dell Inspiron) to make it a little more pleasant when I work from home. I’ve never set up multiple displays on a laptop before. What do I need to do to make it work?
23 weeks 6 days ago
- dayzsunny answers Re: What are some design practices to help make a website more readable and attractive?Follow the rule of thirds, just like the composition of a good photograph. It is one of those things that most people will never put their finger on, but they will notice that the website (or image) is visually balanced and more attractive to the eye.
25 weeks 2 days ago
- I understand that Office 2013 is a traditional desktop application and Office 365 is a cloud based offering, so that’s not really my question. My question is more IS there a real difference between the cloud and desktop versions? Will I suffer for choosing cloud-based 365?
26 weeks 3 days ago
- You need to go into TOOLS>OPTIONS>LOAD/SAVE>GENERAL. In option menu there, you should see “Default file format and ODF settings.” Under the dropdown menu for “document type” choose “text document” and in the dropdown menu below that you can choose the default file type to save your documents.
28 weeks 10 hours ago
- Is there an effective way to make sure that all of the software on a Windows 7 PC is up to date?
28 weeks 21 hours ago
- SanDisk has released a 128GB microSD card, which is pretty impressive to me since I can remember when there were 128MB cards. My concern is what can use them? Both my tablet and phone say they will support up to 64GB microSD cards - am I out of luck or can I still use the new 128GB cards?
29 weeks 1 day ago
- I know that reCAPTCHA is later version of CAPTCHA, and both serve up challenges that, hopefully, humans will pass but bots will not. Is there an advantage for users (by users I mean the website using them) of one versus the other?
30 weeks 2 days ago
- With news of the recent exploit of Linksys routers, I thought it might be a good idea to update my router's firmware. How do I go about doing this?
30 weeks 5 days ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.