- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- You have to link your PS4 to your Facebook account. Pushsquare, the site that jimlynch linked to is a pretty good “indie” Playstation site for news and tips. It’s a British site, so you might get reviews for games not sold in the US from time to time.
2 days 2 hours ago
- I have a ton of Netflix compatible devices that I use (tablet, smartphone, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, PS3, laptop, desktop PC). Unfortunately my ISP has a 150Gb monthly data cap and they just increased my rate - thanks AT&T. Is there a way to limit bandwidth usage for the non-PC devices?
1 week 4 days ago
- It’s not quite as easy to swap out on the XBox One as it is on the PS4, but still pretty easy. Kudos to Microsoft for changing the design this time around. As downloadabke game sizes increase (Uncharted 3 was over 40Gb, I think), it gets easier and easier to fill up a drive This really helps future-proof the XBone.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- When the X360 came out, the first version of the console suffered from the Red Ring of Death, aka RROD. Early PS3s also suffered from a Yellow Light of Death, aka YLOD, although not to the same level at the X360’s problem. Anyone know whether there are similar issues with the new PS4? I’ve read about a 0.4% failure rate.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Can Android based gaming systems compete with dedicated gaming consoles from Sony and Microsoft?Not even close. I suppose if you want to play simple, shallow physics games like Angry Birds or something like Free Cell, they would do, but for deep gaming with high production values like Last of Us, Skyrym, etc., the Ouya and GameStick are not even in the same ball park.
3 weeks 3 days ago
- This time they actually include an HDMI cable, too. It annoyed me more than it probably should have that both the X360 and PS3 included only a composite cable. That’s right, COMPOSITE (red audio, white audio, yellow video), so you could “enjoy” your 1080p capable console in 480i. Thanks for including it this time, Good Guy Sony.
3 weeks 3 days ago
- Since they stripped the internet connectivity, If you only want to play games offline, and have no interest in buying games from earlier Nintendo systems that are available from the Nintendo Shop, then maybe it would be ok. However, it doesn’t even support a component video output, so that means you will be playing in glorious 480i.
4 weeks 5 days ago
- A refurb didn’t pass initial in-store inspection or was a non-functional trade in and was sent out to be repaired. A used system tested ok in the store, so they just put it in a box and sell it to you without sending it out. I have had 3 "preowned" systems from Gamestop; 2 were used, 1 was a refurb. 1 used was great, one had to be returned.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Would it still make sense to buy a PS3 or X360 with the new generation machines just around the corner?I disagree with Christopher on this one. Sony has a history of long term support for its systems. The PS2 was still in production until very recently. The PS3 has a large install base, and there are hundreds of excellent games for it that are readily available at very cheap prices. I just bought Heavy Rain new for $10, for example.
6 weeks 6 days ago
- Is it worth paying the extra money for premium HDMI cables, or is it a waste of money? I was just looking at a 2 meter HDMI cable for $57, would it be worth the extra money?
7 weeks 6 days ago
- I had a birthday party with friends last night, and we ended up playing some video games, which in turn led to a spirited discussion of video game history and the greatest video games of all times.
8 weeks 3 days ago
- Steam is great, but I can’t quite figure out the purpose of the just announced SteamOS. Steam described it as a “free stand-alone operating system for living room machines.” What does that mean, that it’s for something like Ouya or Roku, or that it is a gaming oriented OS for the PC that you hook up to your nice big flat screen TV?
10 weeks 5 days ago
- What would be the best Windows Phone for someone just getting their first smartphone? My mother has only had feature phones, but wants to stick with Windows because she has used Windows for years and thinks it would be easier for her to learn. She likes Windows 8, so she may be right.
14 weeks 2 days ago
- Just to add to what John said, the original Wii makes a pretty good multimedia “box”, with Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus, and a YouTube Channel all available, and because they are being pushed aside in favor of the Wii U, they are pretty cheap (or even better, you may have one gathering dust somewhere).
16 weeks 2 days ago
- If that makes you a luddite, well then, let’s go fire up some factories, because I’m with you. I see console vs. mobile/touchscreen gaming as complementary, actually. I’m far from a kid, and graduated college last century, but I still play games all the time. For “serious” games, that means a home console.
16 weeks 4 days ago
- There are still a couple of weeks left in Canonical’s indiegogo effort to raise $32 million to build the Ubuntu Edge smartphone. So far, they are not on track to meet the goal, and at the halfway point there has only been $8.7 million pledged. That’s a lot of money, but it the pace is 50% of what it needs to be to succeed.
17 weeks 3 days ago
- If you use Firefox, there is an extension called LongURL Mobil Extender that will show the actual destination in a pop-up. You can also use the longurl.org or unity.me websites, but you will have to copy and paste the link to see the destination site.
17 weeks 3 days ago
- There are a number of reasons. First of all, I suspect many casual consumers don’t even realize that the Wii U is a completely different system than the Wii and not just a tablet controller. Secondly, there really hasn’t been much software that makes the Wii U a must have.
17 weeks 3 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: How can I fix incorrect video categories with the XBox Video application in Windows 8?As far as I know, the XBox Video app doesn’t allow you to change them. However, you should still be able to use zune software, which is what XBox Video is based on, to make the changes. You will need to download it from www.zune.net.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- Tim Sweeney, the guy who developed the Unreal Engine and founder of Epic Games, recently said that he is certain that in 10 years, video games will be photorealistic and the graphics will be indistinguishable from reality. I’m not sure this is completely a positive thing.
21 weeks 2 days ago
- I see that Google is phasing out Checkout in favor of Wallet? What’s the difference? I have used Google Checkout before, I think (plus whatever you use to pay for stuff on Google Play). I don’t recall anything memorably good or bad about it from a consumer point of view.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: If you’ve “cut the cord” and eliminated cable, how happy are you with the alternatives?I have been cable free for about 4 years now. The only real drawbacks to me are that I may not be able to watch a sporting event that I want to see, or, much more rarely, there is something I want to see that is only available on cable. Specifically, Game of Thrones.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- Honestly, I haven’t played it in person, but I’ve played many Android and iOS titles.. I would like to pick an Ouya up, and I think it is a great idea. BUT.....no, it is not the same. For a major console release, development costs an average of ~$20 million or so. For a blockbuster, major effort that figure occasionally approaches $100 million.
22 weeks 6 days ago
- Currently I believe sysadmin is #1. Tifa is a distant second.
23 weeks 2 days ago
- Hmmm, I guess I would say it is harder than a replacing a laptop’s HDD but easier than replacing an iPhone 5 screen. Here is a YouTube video of a later version DSi screen being replaced, so you can see if it looks like something you would like to take on. http://youtu.be/5IqqNFxE-b0
23 weeks 3 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.