- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- I agree that support for online play is ending too quickly, but the reason may not be entirely Nintendo’s fault. They don’t run their own server network and matchmaking for Wii online gaming, they farm it out to GameSpy’s server network which uses GameSpy middleware to function, which locks it to GameSpy and prevent transfer to other servers.
1 week 2 days ago
- I’ve been looking at a music game called Rocksmith that's available for the PS3, X360 and PC. Remember those music games like guitar hero? Well, this is kind of like that except you use an actual guitar to play actual chords and notes instead of one of those little plastic toy “pretend” guitars.
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Braid is a classic indie game, and Fez just came out on PS3. Both are really good, and you can download both from the Playstation Network. Bit.Trip.Runner is a fun game made by only three guys. Retro City Rampage is pretty good, but it helps if you have a knowledge of the 80s and the NES days.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- I know, I know - how much of a “brand” does Oculus have at this stage. They only have the Rift VR headset in development, not one consumer unit has been sold, nor will it for a while. True, but with Oculus Rift, I have been planning to plunk down my hard earned and try it out. Traditional transaction.
4 weeks 19 hours ago
- I defer to Nate Mitchell, VP of Product at Oculus, who essentially says the more the merrier:
4 weeks 5 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Do PS4 owners need to purchase a PlayStation Network membership to use the system online?On the PS4 you do not need to pay anything extra to have online access, but you do need to pay for the Playstation Network Plus membership if you want to play multiplayer online. This may sound like a rip-off, but I have a PSN+ membership that I use with my PS3, and I get so many free games included with the membership that I can’t keep up.
5 weeks 1 day ago
- I have never had any difficulty getting any video on demand service to work with my PS3, but the new HBO Go application is a “no go”. When I contacted Sony they asked why my ISP was, and when I told them Comcast, Sony advised me to contact Comcast. Well, Comcast customer service has a terrible reputation for a reason…terrible customer service.
6 weeks 6 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Will Nintendo’s decision to shut down Wii servers affect Netflix and Hulu services on the system?Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and YouTube aren’t dependant on Nintendo’s servers, and won’t be affected. You are right in that you won’t be able to play any more Mario Kart Wii online, which is too bad, since that was really one of the few examples of online play done really well on the Wii.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- I know that a lot of video noise reduction settings end up making video looks soft and blurry, but I had never even heard of mosquito noise reduction until I was poking around the video settings on a PS3. The name suggests that it stops little bugs from flying around your screen, but obviously that’s not it.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- Anyone know what the XBox One software updated changed or improved? I’m still on the fence between an Xbox One and PS4, although at this point in the product cycle, I can afford to wait a little longer without really missing out on much.
9 weeks 1 day ago
9 weeks 2 days ago
- Sorry, but you are going to have to pony up and pay Nintendo to repair your Wii if you want to keep all of those downloads. Nintendo locks them to the console that downloaded them, and does not provide for any transfer, unless it is from a Wii to a Wii U.
10 weeks 5 hours ago
- Absolutely not, they should stick to their own platforms. Number one, Nintendo get’s the importance of tight controls better than any other company. Excellent controls are one of the things that made Super Mario Bros. great. It eliminates "cheap" deaths, if you miss a jump it's your fault.
11 weeks 1 day ago
- It’s a close call. The new version is a little lighter and has better battery life. On the other hand, you lose the OLED screen with the new version and get an LED screen. The OLED display is a highlight of the Vita to me, with vibrant colors and dark blacks.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- The company has enough of a cash reserve to give themselves some breathing room, but the lack of success with the Wii U is a serious problem. Luckily, the 3DS was the best selling console of the 2013 holiday season, or the hurt would really be on.
13 weeks 1 day ago
- dniblock asks What differences are people likely to see now that Net Neutrality rules have been struck down?Now that a judge has sided with Verizon against the FCC and struck down Net Neutrality rules for ISPs, what are the differences users can expect to see?
14 weeks 17 hours ago
- The YouTube Channel on Wii was a surprise to even see. Google has been making a number of changes over the past 8-10 months, and after a period of time where it was unwatchable, some recent changes have made it better for many users.
14 weeks 18 hours ago
- From what I understand, it depends on the software developers, and whether they include support for an older wheel that was designed for the PS3. You have a popular (and good) wheel, so if any wheel is going to have PS4 developer support, I would bet it would be the Logitech Driving Force.
16 weeks 5 days ago
- Standby use = ~1W Normal PC use = 80W PC with 5 HDDs, core i7, 4 dimms of RAM, monitor, mouse, and keyboard = 200W
17 weeks 6 days ago
- There are two that I would suggest. Extra Lives by Tom Bissell and Ultimate History of Video Games by Steven Kent. Tom Bissell is an accomplished journalist who writes from a more critical perspective, such as what makes a video game good, the use of narrative, etc.
17 weeks 6 days ago
- How can I record the gameplay video and audio from a video game system so I can use it in a video?
18 weeks 2 days ago
- It is too early to really even speculate.
19 weeks 1 day ago
- You have to link your PS4 to your Facebook account. Pushsquare, the site that jimlynch linked to is a pretty good “indie” Playstation site for news and tips. It’s a British site, so you might get reviews for games not sold in the US from time to time.
19 weeks 5 days ago
- I have a ton of Netflix compatible devices that I use (tablet, smartphone, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, PS3, laptop, desktop PC). Unfortunately my ISP has a 150Gb monthly data cap and they just increased my rate - thanks AT&T. Is there a way to limit bandwidth usage for the non-PC devices?
21 weeks 3 hours ago
- It’s not quite as easy to swap out on the XBox One as it is on the PS4, but still pretty easy. Kudos to Microsoft for changing the design this time around. As downloadabke game sizes increase (Uncharted 3 was over 40Gb, I think), it gets easier and easier to fill up a drive This really helps future-proof the XBone.
21 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 5
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.