- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- I held off getting a new PS3 or XBox 360 for a while to see what the reliability was like. As many of the early 360 owners know, this wasn't just paranoia, with some reports that nearly 50% of early 360s eventually suffered from the RROD (red ring of death). The early PS3 also had some problems, although not as widespread.
2 days 5 hours ago
- Amazon has opened a 3D store with 3DLT, so you can get patterns for 3D printed bracelets, skulls, “dawg” sculptures. You do have to pay for the downloadable patterns, by the way, and they aren’t cheap. A Galaxy S3 case pattern will cost you $61, for instance.
2 weeks 14 hours ago
- dniblock answers Re: What does Microsoft’s closure of XBox Entertainment Studios mean to XBox One owners?It’s not going to have all that much impact. It means that Microsoft will not be creating and streaming content in an attempt to compete with Netflix and Amazon, but I don’t think many people expected them to match the programming options offered by their competitors anyway.
2 weeks 15 hours ago
- I think that you have to put the next Android OS near the top of any short list. I haven’t had time to go back and watch todays presentation, but anytime you are talking about a major update to Android that is big news.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- As a gamer, I’ve got to add John Carmack, co-founder of Id Software, to the list. It may be easy to forget how far they moved the goalposts, but Wolfenstein 3D, Doom and Quake were revolutionary at the time and have influenced a generation of game designers.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- I have been too busy with work to follow E3 closely this year. I’m bummed, because there are those occasional E3 moments that are truly memorable. Remember when Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess was announced back in ‘06? I sure do, and I remember people actually weeping when that announcement trailer played. It was awesome.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- Plug the USB flash drive into the same USB ports that you use for charging your controllers. Go to the “Game” section on your menu bar (the Xross Media Bar, to use Sony’s term), then scroll up to the Saved Data Utility (PS3) selection. Go to the game data you want to save and press the “triangle” button on the controller.
8 weeks 3 hours ago
- Open-IX isn't that widespread yet, but it is growing. Currently there are 23 Open-IX certified data centers.
8 weeks 3 days ago
- I'm hopeful that there will be some announcement of a new Metriod Prime or Zelda title for the Wii U. If Nintendo can offer up a Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Metroid Prime, and Zelda for the system, that might be enough to change the tide of red ink for Nintendo. I hope so anyway.
8 weeks 3 days ago
- I know that the costs of video game development has increased significantly with each new generation of gaming console, but what kind of money are we talking about. How much does it take to make a major release, AAA title like Last of Us or Watch Dogs?
9 weeks 3 days ago
- dniblock asks Will removal of Kinect help the XBox One compete with the PS4, or is it a bad move by Microsoft?I had thought that the Kinect was something Microsoft was making the core of the XBox One experience. Now they have announced that the XBox One will be available without Kinect. Is this a good move or a bad one?
11 weeks 3 days ago
- I want to connect an original Wii (NOT Wii U) to an unused VGA monitor so I can use it in a guest bedroom at my house. How can I do it - the Wii doesn’t have HDMI output?
12 weeks 3 days ago
- I suggest just swapping it out instead, Sony makes it very easy, and you can swap out the factory HDD for a standard 2.5” hard drive, just like a laptop. I would just get a 1TB. You should be able to pick one up for $70-80.
14 weeks 1 day ago
- I agree that support for online play is ending too quickly, but the reason may not be entirely Nintendo’s fault. They don’t run their own server network and matchmaking for Wii online gaming, they farm it out to GameSpy’s server network which uses GameSpy middleware to function, which locks it to GameSpy and prevent transfer to other servers.
15 weeks 4 days ago
- I’ve been looking at a music game called Rocksmith that's available for the PS3, X360 and PC. Remember those music games like guitar hero? Well, this is kind of like that except you use an actual guitar to play actual chords and notes instead of one of those little plastic toy “pretend” guitars.
17 weeks 4 days ago
- Braid is a classic indie game, and Fez just came out on PS3. Both are really good, and you can download both from the Playstation Network. Bit.Trip.Runner is a fun game made by only three guys. Retro City Rampage is pretty good, but it helps if you have a knowledge of the 80s and the NES days.
18 weeks 1 day ago
- I know, I know - how much of a “brand” does Oculus have at this stage. They only have the Rift VR headset in development, not one consumer unit has been sold, nor will it for a while. True, but with Oculus Rift, I have been planning to plunk down my hard earned and try it out. Traditional transaction.
18 weeks 3 days ago
- I defer to Nate Mitchell, VP of Product at Oculus, who essentially says the more the merrier:
19 weeks 1 day ago
- dniblock answers Re: Do PS4 owners need to purchase a PlayStation Network membership to use the system online?On the PS4 you do not need to pay anything extra to have online access, but you do need to pay for the Playstation Network Plus membership if you want to play multiplayer online. This may sound like a rip-off, but I have a PSN+ membership that I use with my PS3, and I get so many free games included with the membership that I can’t keep up.
19 weeks 3 days ago
- I have never had any difficulty getting any video on demand service to work with my PS3, but the new HBO Go application is a “no go”. When I contacted Sony they asked why my ISP was, and when I told them Comcast, Sony advised me to contact Comcast. Well, Comcast customer service has a terrible reputation for a reason…terrible customer service.
21 weeks 2 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Will Nintendo’s decision to shut down Wii servers affect Netflix and Hulu services on the system?Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and YouTube aren’t dependant on Nintendo’s servers, and won’t be affected. You are right in that you won’t be able to play any more Mario Kart Wii online, which is too bad, since that was really one of the few examples of online play done really well on the Wii.
22 weeks 14 hours ago
- I know that a lot of video noise reduction settings end up making video looks soft and blurry, but I had never even heard of mosquito noise reduction until I was poking around the video settings on a PS3. The name suggests that it stops little bugs from flying around your screen, but obviously that’s not it.
22 weeks 2 days ago
- Anyone know what the XBox One software updated changed or improved? I’m still on the fence between an Xbox One and PS4, although at this point in the product cycle, I can afford to wait a little longer without really missing out on much.
23 weeks 4 days ago
23 weeks 4 days ago
- Sorry, but you are going to have to pony up and pay Nintendo to repair your Wii if you want to keep all of those downloads. Nintendo locks them to the console that downloaded them, and does not provide for any transfer, unless it is from a Wii to a Wii U.
24 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 5
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.