- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Confession: I HATE going shopping over the Thanksgiving holiday, and Black Friday is the worst of the worst. Unfortunately for me, my mom loves it and somehow has determined that it is a family tradition. She has also determined that my part of the tradition includes being the poor sucker that has to drive.
26 weeks 2 days ago
- I've been playing video games since I was a little kid, and perhaps as a result of that, the release of a major new gaming console is closest thing I've found that captures that feeling of kid on Christmas Eve, when the state of pure anticipation is at its most exquisite.
27 weeks 1 day ago
- No idea, but the thing about the GAAR!!!! (my "cool" sounding name for the Google Account Activity Report..) is that it validates my privacy settings. I use an Android phone, so Google is pretty integrated into my waking life.
28 weeks 17 hours ago
- I woke up this morning to clocks flashing 12:00 all over my house due to overnight power outages. Judging from the number of sites that I've had trouble accessing today, I guess there are a lot of data centers and server farms that have flashing clocks on their coffee makers at the moment thanks to power outages caused by the hurricane.
29 weeks 3 days ago
- Don't just think of it as monitoring software on your machine. That you may be able to find, but that's only part of the picture.
31 weeks 2 days ago
- Trip Hawkins, the founder of Electronics Arts, stated his view in a recent interview that, "[console gamining] is going to become a smaller market,....more like a hobby market." I'm not so sure that he is right.
31 weeks 4 days ago
- I was at the mall yesterday with my fiancé, and while she was getting her shop on I went to the Apple store. I don't go there very often, so that one upside is that I tend to appreciate how clever the design of the stores are each time in addition to playing around with cool toys.
32 weeks 1 day ago
- I can't see my forms in design view (I thought that usually there were dashed red lines around the border), and I'm having trouble keeping all of the form fields inside of the forms. How can I get the forms to display in design view?
33 weeks 3 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: What do you think about Amazon search results being automatically in Dash searches on Ubuntu 12.10?While I'm sympathetic to Canonical's need to generate revenue from their offerings, I'm not down with baking in a merchant's semi-spyware into my OS. If they have an option to disable it, that's better, but what is it disabling?
34 weeks 18 hours ago
- Windows should recognize the SSD and automatically disable automatic defragmenting, which you do not want done to SDDs. Other than that, I would just make certain that I had all the current storage drivers and firmware updates. I would also use "diskpart clean all" command to wipe the SDD before installing the OS.
35 weeks 2 days ago
- The iPhone 5 comes in two versions apparently, GSM and CDMA. The 4S combined the two in one model. I know that GSM is used by some carriers (AT&T) and CDMA is used by others (Verizon and Sprint), but what is the difference? Is there any advantage of one verus the other from a user's perspective?
35 weeks 4 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Which is the biggest consumer electronics news for the week - Apple iPhone 5, Nintendo WiiU, or Kindle Fire HD?In terms of money, I would say iPhone, with the Wii U and Kindle probably fighting over second place. In terms of disruptive technology, I would have to go with the Wii U. Both the iPhone 5 and Kindle Fire HD are incremental new models of existing products.
36 weeks 17 hours ago
- It's super simple. Direct from the horse's mouth, aka Apple Support: "1. Plug in the power adapter and fully charge your PowerBook's battery until the light ring or LED on the power adapter plug changes to green and the onscreen meter in the menu bar indicates that the battery is fully charged.
36 weeks 2 days ago
- I tried to use my PC external drive with a Mac at work, and the Mac just shakes its head and says, "Nope!" How can I get the Mac to recognize the drive and access the files on the drive?
37 weeks 14 hours ago
- EaseUS or Minitool will work on your PC. I have used EaseUS and it did the trick while being very easy to use. Install whichever on your PC and it will walk you through the steps.
37 weeks 1 day ago
- I was reading my news feeds this a.m. and saw that Amazon had issued a press release saying that they've sold out of Kindle Fires. It wasn't perfectly clear, but it seemed to suggest that they didn't plan to have any more, so if you don't have one, you never will unless you buy a used one.
38 weeks 1 day ago
- How do you like Microsoft's new corporate logo? It is weird to see a corporate logo change, especially one that I have looked at daily for pretty much my entire adult life when I've started up my PC. I mean, think about Coke changing it's logo, or Ford. It would be weird, at least to me.
39 weeks 1 day ago
- I went to the "trouble" of rooting my old LG Android phone, with the goal of removing all the bloatware that was installed by my carrier and overclocking the CPU.
40 weeks 14 hours ago
- I've been tasked with performing a website content audit. Ok, but I've never done one before. Are there any tips or general rules to follow to make it go smoothly?
41 weeks 1 day ago
- That rumor about Android being ported to Raspberry Pi isn't just a rumor. Having hardware accelerated graphics and video playback capability will be pretty sweet for a $35 computer. There is an article about it on Ars. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/08/android-4-0-ported-to-raspberry-pis-35-linux-computer/
42 weeks 1 day ago
- dniblock answers Re: Do you think YouTube's change to real names on comments will make the commenters behave any better?
43 weeks 2 days ago
- Since Firefox moved to its rapid update/release cycle, I have gone from being a fan of Firefox to a user of Chrome. It finally got to be too much of a headache, one update would work fine, then a new one would come out that removed features I used. Another week or two would pass, then another update would break software compatibility.
43 weeks 4 days ago
- From what I understand, Windows Server 2012 will be released this fall, a few months after OEMs get a start installing it on new units. I haven't really had the chance to look at any prerelease versions. Is this an incremental upgrade, or is Windows Server 2012 a major update from Windows Server 2008 r 2?
45 weeks 3 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: How angry with Facebook are you for changing your email address without asking?Well, yeah, it is a jerk move! I also would be willing to bet that Facebook doesn't care. Just like they don't care about your privacy, beyond what they have to in order to avoid legal problems. Users are not really their customers, users are their products.
47 weeks 2 days ago
- dniblock answers Re: Is Samsung's SAFE certification actually useful or is it just a marketing ploy?Probably a little bit of both. One of the main problem with implementing security protocols with Android devices is that fragmentation makes it hard to say if what works on one device with function properly on another.
48 weeks 2 days ago
- 2 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.