- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Sugarsync announced that it is ending any free cloud storage offerings. It seems to me that a company would want to offer a free “taste” of its services to draw in potential paying customers. Will this end up hurting Sugarsync? If you have a free Sugarsync account, will you pay up or move on?
1 day 1 hour ago
- My laptop has slowed to the point of being painful to use. It’s a few years old, so perhaps it’s just that, but how can I make sure it isn’t infected with malware or a virus. I have AVG anti-virus and ran a full system scan and didn’t find anything. What are typical symptoms of an infected machine?
4 weeks 19 hours ago
- We do business with a German company, and there are a number of names and words that have an umlaut (the dots over a vowel in German), and I would write them correctly in our emails. Is there a way to type them on a standard english keyboard?
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Did the government’s shutdown of Silk Road and seizure of Bitcoins have a major impact on the viability of Bitcoin as an alternative currency? News reports indicated that the number of Bitcoins seized account for about 5% of all Bitcoins in existence. This would have a huge impact on traditional currencies.
8 weeks 3 min ago
- I am sure that I entered my correct login info, but I am getting a message that the user profile cannot be loaded. How can I log on to Windows 7?
10 weeks 1 day ago
- Doesn't merging and flattening layers do the same thing?
10 weeks 6 days ago
- Some of the Qi chargers, especially early ones, are painfully slow to charge. Make sure you don’t get one that has only 500mA output, look for at least 1000mA. If you get one of the newer design Qi inductive chargers, it will still be a little slower than physically plugging it in to recharge, but not too bad.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- Carriers use a 2 year contract to lock customers in each time they get a new device, although there are options with most carriers that allow you to upgrade before then. Of course, they will charge you something for it, and lock you into another 2 year contract.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- Since the revelations about the NSA looking over everyone’s shoulder when they are online, Tor usage has increased significantly. But how secure is Tor? Does it just result in a false sense of privacy, especially after seeing that the Department of Defense accounts for about 40% of Tor’s budget?
13 weeks 2 days ago
- I’m not sure. There are tons of mergers where the two companies never successfully integrate, Chrysler and Daimler for example. I also don’t know how closely the hardware development team at Nokia and OS/software development teams from Microsoft were working together.
13 weeks 5 days ago
- If I am familiar with Microsoft Excel on a Windows PC, would it be pretty much the same to use on a Mac, or are there significant differences?
15 weeks 13 hours ago
- We transitioned from XP to Windows 8 at my office, and beyond the very different appearance, one thing I miss is the lack of AutoRun with USB devices, which was a minor thing, but convenient. Why did Microsoft remove AutoRun?
15 weeks 6 days ago
- Google said in a recent court filing that Gmail users do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy when they use email services. What do they mean by this? Are millions of people wrong when they think their email communications should be private?
17 weeks 9 hours ago
- I don’t like to click on embedded links until I know where they are going to take me. With most, a mouse roll over will show the destination in a small pop-up at the bottom of the browser window, but that doesn’t work for links that have been shortened through tinyurl or a similar service.
18 weeks 11 hours ago
- It can share, but you might want to configure the router to give VoIP priority to help ensure higher call quality.
19 weeks 1 day ago
- Both hacker conventions are taking place at the same time in the same place, which seems a little odd to me. What’s the difference between the two?
19 weeks 1 day ago
- There is a bit of a debate at my work about our desktop PC replacement cycle. Currently, we are on a 5 year cycle, which I frankly think is too long, but I don’t get to make the call. This is a SMB with about 40 PCs, so we aren’t talking a Fortune 500 company here. How long is too long to hang onto PCs?
20 weeks 1 day ago
- Also, I would change the SSID and password. On a side note, if you have kids and they have video game systems (console or handheld) or iPods, those are things that could account for some of the activity and be easy to forget about since they are not necessarily always online.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- I picked up a new Linksys router for my home network that offers the choice of WPA2 Personal or WPA2 Enterprise. I assume Enterprise is more secure, but what’s the difference? Is Enterprise "strong like bull," while Personal is more like, “Please, don’t do get on my network or I will cry?”
22 weeks 3 days ago
- How do you make a clip play automatically when a mouse cursor is moved over it? I know that I’ve done it before in PowerPoint.
25 weeks 2 days ago
- dvarian answers Re: How do you respond to a job interviewer that asks to see your social media activity?It’s pretty common for Facebook posts to cause people not to get hired, so frankly I think everyone looking for a job should make everything private on social media before sending out the first resume.
27 weeks 6 days ago
- It really varies. I wish I could give a better answer. Some are absolute trash; I've seen new replacement batteries that wouldn't hold a charge, and the output was below specs. On the other hand, I've seen replacements that were just as good as OEM. It really varies by manufacturer.
35 weeks 1 hour ago
- I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I think the problem is probably your tablet. These things cost $80 and have who-knows-what for components. There are issues with app compatibility and hardware quality built in. Could you ever get a network connection? It could be a bad radio in the device. It could be a firmware/driver issue.
37 weeks 23 hours ago
- Hadoop skills are definitely in demand.
38 weeks 6 days ago
- Facebook is once again about to change up things, whether you like it or not. Hopefully the changes they are about to announce for New Feed will be for the better. Of course, one man's better is another man's worse. What would you like to see changed?
40 weeks 54 min ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.