- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Ellen Messmer writes about security and financial information technology topics for Network World. Follow her on Twitter @MessmerE.
Areas of Interest:
- Ellen Messmer wrote Fortinet, McAfee, Trend Micro, Bitdefender battle in socially-engineered malware prevention testSocially-engineered malware tries to trick users into downloading and executing malicious code through tactics that include everything from fake antivirus to fake utilities to fake upgrades to the operating system and trojanized applications. NSS Labs tested several endpoint security products to see how well each would block these attacks.
2 days 21 hours ago
- The Heartbleed Bug disclosed by the OpenSSL group on April 7 has sent many vendors scurrying to patch their products and that includes security firms Symantec, Intel Security's McAfee division, and Kaspersky Lab.
4 days 36 min ago
- The Heartbleed Bug, a flaw in OpenSSL that would let attackers eavesdrop on Web, e-mail and some VPN communications, is a vulnerability that can be found not just in servers using it but also in network gear from Cisco and Juniper Networks. Both vendors say there's still a lot they are investigating about how Heartbleed impacts their products, and to expect updated advisories on a rolling basis.
1 week 1 day ago
- The Heartbleed Bug, basically a flaw in OpenSSL that would let savvy attackers eavesdrop on Web, e-mail and some VPN communications that use OpenSSL, has sent companies scurrying to patch servers and change digital encryption certificates and users to change their passwords. But who's to blame for this flaw in the open-source protocol that some say also could impact routers and even mobile devices as well?
1 week 2 days ago
- IBM has come up with a technology for reducing the risk of data being exposed in mobile push notifications to mobile devices by coming up with a way to encrypt that information so service providers and others can't actually see any data related to the user's mobile device.
1 week 4 days ago
- Banks and financial institutions regulated by the federal government must now monitor for distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks against their networks and have a plan in place to try and mitigate against such attacks, a federal regulatory body said this week.
2 weeks 16 hours ago
- Security professionals are playing defense against cybercrime, and often feel outgunned by tech-savvy hackers and insiders looking to steal sensitive data from within the business.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- In an evaluative lab test, FireEye and Ahnlab each scored "below average" on their breach-detection systems (BDS) in a comparative group product test which was conducted by NSS Labs.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- Dell today unveiled enterprise mobility software for Google Android or Apple iOS that supports employee "bring your own device" use by selectively applying VPN controls only to the corporate apps on the device, not the employee's personal apps.
2 weeks 4 days ago
- Failures in patch management of vulnerable systems have been a key enabler of cybercrime, according to the conclusions reached in Solutionary's annual Global Threat Intelligence Report out today, saying it sees botnet attacks as the biggest single threat.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote How do the FBI and Secret Service know your network has been breached before you do?Knock, knock! Secret Service here. "Is this your customer payment card data?"
3 weeks 3 days ago
- A whirlwind guide to free network security, anti-virus products.
3 weeks 4 days ago
- Palo Alto Networks, known for its next-generation firewall, Monday said it is buying Israeli start-up Cyvera for about $200 million to gain access to its endpoint security product for real-time attack prevention. The deal is expected to close in a few weeks.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- IBM today introduced software that can be used by business to combat attempted fraud in insurance, financial and healthcare settings by applying "Big Data" analytical concepts that bring together various data streams to decide whether someone appears to be perpetrating fraud.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- The willingness to invest in new security start-ups is continuing at such a breakneck pace that start-ups still in stealth mode are getting snapped up by more established players before they even publicly introduce their security products and services.
4 weeks 4 days ago
- Such breach detection systems would need a centralized management reporting system and cloud-based analysis of gathered threat data.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- Hung jury in Juniper Networks vs. Palo Alto Networks court case means more court battles.
5 weeks 3 days ago
- ManTech's HBGary subsidiary found Skype-based malware 'hiding in plain sight' on customer's network.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- F-Secure's Threat Report sheds light on how Android, though a target, is no push-over.
6 weeks 3 days ago
- Chinese networking giant Huawei, though, says last year's report lacked credibility.
7 weeks 1 day ago
- Cisco today kicked off a contest with $300,000 in prize money that challenges security experts around the world to put together ways to secure what's now called the "Internet of Things," the wide range of non-traditional computing devices used on the electric grid, in healthcare and many other industries.
7 weeks 1 day ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote FBI expects to roll out malware-analysis system to help businesses identify attacksSo-called 'Malware Investigator' later this year could allow malware-sample upload to FBI.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- Two recently-discovered flaws in Apple iOS and Mac OS X have security experts openly asking whether the software vulnerabilities represent backdoors inserted for purposes of cyber-espionage. There's no clear answer so far, but it just shows that anxiety about state-sponsored surveillance is running high.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- After acquiring mobile application management company Bitzer Mobile late last year, Oracle today announced that it has taken Bitzer's basic "container" technology for Apple ioS and Google Android and linked it to identity management.
7 weeks 3 days ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote RSA chief: NSA exploited 'position of trust'; should spin-out security tech groupBefore thousands, RSA's exec. chairman Art Coviello says U.S. government needs to 're-build trust'.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 15
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.