- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Ellen Messmer writes about security and financial information technology topics for Network World. Follow her on Twitter @MessmerE.
Areas of Interest:
- Start-up CrowdStrike today made available its first product, called Falcon, designed to detect and block stealthy infiltrations of Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh-based endpoint machines and servers.
14 hours 49 min ago
- Security monitoring -- the type involving traditional security information and event management (SIEM) -- can be done in some public cloud environments, according to Gartner. And if you're using public cloud services, it's time to think about doing it.
6 days 5 hours ago
- When it comes to information security, there are a lot of "misperceptions" and "exaggerations" about both the threats facing businesses and the technologies that might be used to protect their important data assets. For example, myth #10: "Encryption is the best way to keep your sensitive files safe"
1 week 4 hours ago
- Enterprises are under heavy pressure to change their approach to IT security because of a "nexus of forces" that include big data, social networking, mobile and cloud computing, according to Gartner.
1 week 1 day ago
- Debate continues to rage today over the bombshell revelations that the National Security Agency collects intelligence on individuals via telecommunications and social-networking sites. The uproar has the U.S. government and private companies admitting to some aspects of the surveillance, while vehemently denying others. A former CIA agent working for Booz Allen Hamilton has revealed himself as the leaker.
1 week 1 day ago
- IBM is conducting research that involves making use of the open Java Virtual Machine (JVM) in a cloud-based setting as a way to provide dynamic services, especially to mobile devices.
1 week 4 days ago
- The popular services of Google, Facebook and Twitter are improving in terms of security, says Scott Behrens, head of Neohapsis Labs, which took a security snapshot of them on May 28 through an analysis that included looking at server headers sent during responses to the websites.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- PayPal this week kicked off a global software-coding competition called Battle Hack, challenging software developers to devise on their own a socially useful application that makes use of PayPal payment processing. The grand prize: $100,000.
2 weeks 4 days ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote FAQ on global supply-chain security standard to prevent IT tampering, counterfeitingWhether you're buying or selling hardware and software, or acting as systems integrator, the new supply-chain security standard put forward by the Open Group in April could end up having a huge impact on you. Here are a few frequently asked questions that explain why.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- Vulnerability in software used for Department of Homeland Security background investigations allowed potential unauthorized access since 2009.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Bit9 has teamed with FireEye and Palo Alto Networks, which each have sandboxing technologies, in order to share information related to zero-day attack code.
4 weeks 19 hours ago
- Can the old guard in business continuity and disaster-recovery services thrive in an era when the companies are looking at new ways to process business data? SunGard Data Systems, with decades of experience in availability services, is feeling the pinch as some business clientele move data to the cloud. But SunGard says it's pushing forward with innovations that are making it a public cloud provider as well with the kind of application availability it says will be hard to match elsewhere.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Fighting denial-of-service attacks has become a matter of survival for some businesses that find their websites getting smashed and network flooded by attackers. Online gaming company SG Interactive says it's under constant attack and the only way to keep going is to set up an anti-DDoS defense.
5 weeks 7 hours ago
- McAfee is taking advantage of its new owners by rolling out a high-throughput intrusion-prevention system (IPS) family built on Intel technology.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- Airport's IT transformation to cloud, BYOD support is saving money, boosting security.
6 weeks 3 hours ago
- Cisco, which wants to expand its clout into the industrial networks used by power-generation utilities to support the electric grid, today announced an expansion of its "smart grid" portfolio with ruggedized and low-latency switches and other equipment intended for use in electric-power distribution systems.
6 weeks 11 hours ago
- Cloud computing services, whether software as a service (SaaS) or infrastructure as a service (IaaS), are subject to taxes. Reid Okimoto, senior manager in the state and local tax practice at KPMG, shares tips to help you understand the real cost of cloud computing.
6 weeks 1 day ago
- The popular Snapchat photo-messaging app used mainly by Android and iOS mobile device owners to share images that then self-destruct after 10 seconds is the sort of security idea that businesses say can help them secure online transactions with business partners.
6 weeks 5 days ago
- Open source has become a staple for software development in the enterprise, but keeping track of it and maintaining security for it remains an elusive goal, according to a survey of more than 3,500 data architects and developers.
7 weeks 8 hours ago
- Trend Micro announces a slate of cloud-based security services that it says protect servers for Amazon Web Services (AWS) customers.
7 weeks 11 hours ago
- Latest Anti-Phishing Working Group report shows rise of attacks on virtual-server farms at hosting facilities.
7 weeks 1 day ago
- McAfee Thursday announced it’s providing a one-time password function as part of its Cloud Single Sign On service for more securely provisioning and de-provisioning hundreds of cloud-based services for enterprise use.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote DHS use of deep packet inspection technology in new net security system raises serious privacy questionsDepartment of Homeland Security is preparing to deploy a much more powerful version of its EINSTEIN intrusion-detection system that can capture e-mail content and personally identifiable data.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote Business students to get HP-designed technical course for cloud, mobile, security issuesCollege business students need to gain a grasp of technical issues related to cloud computing, big data, security and other network issues they're likely to come across in their careers, so HP is now offering its first technical associate certification for them to cover these topics while in college.
8 weeks 6 hours ago
- Ellen Messmer wrote Boeing technology offers secure, efficient way to tie together business, industrial netsThe Boeing Company is pioneering a way to securely bring together business IT networks with what ordinarily are entirely separate networks for industrial-control systems (ICS) in order to gain efficiencies and benefits in information-sharing in manufacturing.
8 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 9
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.