- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: September 2011
Areas of Interest:
- I understand zero day to mean that there is a serious security issue, but I don’t know what it actually means. Where does the term “zero day” come from?
1 week 1 day ago
- How can I add audio files to WordPress blog post?
2 weeks 5 days ago
- Whenever I have ran a speedtest on a home network, download speeds are always much faster than upload speeds, sometimes 10x as fast. I’m just curious, if they are using the same “pipe” why wouldn’t they be the same?
5 weeks 1 day ago
- If you use a mobile app like Tweetdeck or HootSweet, you can mute individuals without it being obvious. They both have a mute feature that basically makes tweets invisible from people that you don’t want to hear from.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- How do you set an iPhone to ring a unique ringtone for someone in your contacts list?
7 weeks 1 day ago
- ernard asks Will Nintendo’s decision to shut down Wii servers affect Netflix and Hulu services on the system?My family’s Wii served a long and noble role as a gaming system for years, but now it is mostly used for streaming Netflix, Hulu and occasionally YouTube. Nintendo has announced it is shutting down online services for the Wii in a couple of months, so there will be no more Mario Kart Wii online matches, sadly.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- I heard a short story on the news this weekend about a security vulnerability that was found in iOS 7. How serious of a threat is it, and how long has it existed?
8 weeks 2 days ago
- Whenever I have an issue with my home network, my broadband provider’s tech support always tells me to power cycle my modem, and “wait 30 seconds” after I power down before restarting. Why wait that long before restarting the modem?
9 weeks 21 hours ago
- Is it possible to send a fax from an Android phone to a traditional fax machine? If so, do you still have to pay to do it?
11 weeks 7 hours ago
- Other than the name is anything changing? I don’t really see why Microsoft would change an established product’s name at this point.
12 weeks 2 days ago
- I see these terms used seemingly interchangeably. Is there a difference between the two terms, or are they synonymous?
15 weeks 6 days ago
- How can I save the web page I’m on as a PDF? I’m using Chrome browser.
16 weeks 6 days ago
- For “normal” home internet users, how fast does the internet connection need to be? I am getting upgraded to 6mbps, which isn’t particularly fast, but faster means more money. Would I see any difference for normal home use (things like netflix, google docs, general surfing, streaming music, etc.) if I went faster?
19 weeks 6 days ago
- I was looking at upgrading my internet connection to a higher speed from my current DSL service. The only option I have is AT&T’s U-Verse, which requires a new modem/router, but still uses the existing wiring I have in my house.
20 weeks 1 day ago
- I’m not an Internet Explorer user, but I have a guest in for the week who is. She is complaining about some websites not displaying properly on IE11. I took a look, and sure enough, on some sites there are images that don’t display properly and some jacked up text. I made sure everything was updated, but this is still an issue on some sites.
21 weeks 9 hours ago
- I was trying to add a new PC to my little 5 computer network, and realized that I have no idea what the password is for my wireless router. I changed it from default, but I was too clever for myself apparently and can’t remember what I changed it to. Is there any way to determine the password? I have physical access to the router.
26 weeks 1 day ago
- Are there any significant differences between NTFS Compression and “Zipping” files to save space?
27 weeks 3 days ago
- There have been a lot of concern about the security of the fingerprint reader on the new iPhone 5S. Is this something to really be concerned about if you are considering getting one?
30 weeks 10 hours ago
- The clock icon actually tells the correct time with iOS 7. POW! - Mind. Blown. Weather icon does not tell you anything though (unless you count "push here to find out the weather" as something). If only we had the technology to display information on topics chosen by the user in real time, that would be great.
30 weeks 2 days ago
- ernard answers Re: How does the magic wand tool in Photoshop determine which area of the image to select?It selects adjacent pixels based on how similar the colors are. You can mess around with the tolerance setting to change how many color tones magic wand will select, so play around with that before giving up on the tool.
30 weeks 2 days ago
- A lot of people have been critical of Apple’s latest iPhone announcements and releases, especially regarding the iPhone 5C. Frankly, to me the 5C looks like an iPhone 5 with a plastic body, not that big of a deal, but some say Apple runs a risk of cheapening the brand. Could the iPhone 5C actually hurt Apple’s brand image?
31 weeks 1 day ago
- Is there a way I can print a hard copy of books if I own them on iBooks? I’m going on a camping trip and I would love to read a book I’m about halfway through, but I don’t want to carry around a tablet and be "that person".
32 weeks 6 days ago
- I was thinking of signing up for Amazon Prime, mainly for their streaming video service so I can rent new releases that I can’t get on Netflix. Plus I love me some Downton Abbey! At my home, I can’t get decent internet service though, the best available and what I have is DSL rated at 3Mbps, although reality is slightly slower than that even.
34 weeks 6 days ago
- Where can I find a list of current AirPrint compatible printers?
35 weeks 6 days ago
- Maybe I’m a little slow, but I don’t really understand the purpose of apps launchers. I mean, Android "launches" the apps already right? Are they just window dressing meant to make Android look prettier, or do they serve some useful purpose as well? Bonus question....what’s a good one (I like prettier)? :-)
38 weeks 5 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.