- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Fred O'Connor is a copy editor at IDG News Service.
Areas of Interest:
- The Linux Foundation will offer a Linux development course on edX, the massive open online course (MOOC) platform developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard University. The move is part of an edX effort, announced Thursday, to expand its course offerings to include content from nonacademic institutions. All edX content previously came from the nonprofit's 32 member schools, which include the University of California, Berkeley; Dartmouth College and McGill University.
7 weeks 2 hours ago
- Joining an open-source community isn't required to land a development job, but it could help.
10 weeks 1 day ago
- Employers may need to open up their wallets to retain their IT staffers in 2014, according to a salary survey from IT career website Dice.com.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- Online course participants are more likely to browse lesson material than stick around to earn a completion certificate, according to a report examining enrollment and usage data from edX, an online learning platform jointly launched by Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in the fall of 2012.
12 weeks 6 days ago
- Expertise in Web development, mobile development and large-scale data analysis will be much sought-after by IT hiring managers this year.
14 weeks 5 days ago
- Tyler Kresch isn't turning to graduate school to help him change his job from tech sales to running a startup; instead he's taking massive open online courses (MOOCs) to learn the IT skills necessary for that career move.
19 weeks 2 days ago
- Health care providers are just beginning to figure out how big data, mobile platforms and integrated software can deliver better care at lower costs, according to speakers at The Economist's Health Care Forum in Boston.
23 weeks 9 hours ago
- IT workers who want to work part time may see an uptick in lucrative part-time consulting positions.
35 weeks 13 hours ago
- Fred O'Connor wrote Tech-savvy college hires bring integration, communication challenges to IT workplacesCollege graduates receiving their diplomas this year were teenagers when the first iPhone debuted and Facebook allowed anyone to create a profile. As this tech-saturated generation enters the IT workforce their familiarity with technology -- especially consumer products -- can lead to communication and work style clashes with more seasoned employees who may not share a passion for digital life.
46 weeks 12 hours ago
- Economic woes have pushed companies of all sizes to shake up data center hiring, development and other processes to better align IT and business operations.
50 weeks 2 days ago
- Financial concerns in the wake of the recession are causing companies to better align IT and business and this shift is changing what is expected from technology workers, say executives and staffing professionals. Business acumen is now on par with possessing stellar technical skills, with in-demand employees those who can contribute more than code to the company.
52 weeks 14 hours ago
- Nearly a decade after research firms predicted major cost savings and clinical benefits from the use of health-IT, adoption rates among U.S. medical providers remain sluggish, with the industry slow to embrace the big-data movement.
1 year 3 weeks ago
- IT hiring in 2013 will focus on jobs involving cloud computing, mobile technology and business intelligence, said staffing professionals.
1 year 14 weeks ago
1 year 27 weeks ago
- Fred O'Connor wrote Wanted: Job candidates with diverse backgrounds to fill severe big-data jobs shortage
1 year 27 weeks ago
1 year 37 weeks ago
1 year 37 weeks ago
- Fred O'Connor wrote Hospital networks take key role in health care as IT makes further clincial advances
1 year 38 weeks ago
1 year 45 weeks ago
- Fred O'Connor wrote Panel: Future CIOs will have careers blending non-tech roles with traditional IT duties
1 year 47 weeks ago
- Fred O'Connor wrote Updated SDK from Soti allows businesses to remotely control Apple mobile devices
1 year 48 weeks ago
- People are willing to adjust their ideas about privacy if they can benefit from revealing more of their personal information, the CEO of Infosys Technologies said Thursday.
3 years 30 weeks ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.