July 26, 2013, 12:40 AM — Apple is advising its customers in China to use the company's official USB power adapters when recharging their devices, as police continued on Friday investigations into the death by electrocution of a local woman that may be linked to an iPhone.
The company has updated its China-based website to include a new page detailing the company's different USB power adapters.
"Apple has always put user's security first, and as result all our products have gone through rigorous security and reliability testing," the page said. "They are also designed in compliance with government safety standards around the world."
The company posted the page about two weeks after a 23-year-old woman named Ma Ailun had been found dead by electrocution. Family members suspect Ma's recharging of her iPhone may have caused her death, according to local Chinese reports.
Apple has said it is investigating the matter and is cooperating with authorities. The company did not immediately comment on Friday.
Internet users in China have expressed their suspicions that Ma may have been using a third-party power adapter with her iPhone. News video footage of the evidence in the case showed an iPhone 4 with visible burn marks on the side, along with what appears to be a USB power adapter not built from Apple.
Local police on Friday said they are still working on the case, without providing further details.