- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- Yes, you can do it surprisingly easily in fact. You will need to install VirtualBox, set up a Linux VM, and install and run Android-X86. Here is a link to a step-by-step guide on how to do it, including the settings for VirtualBox:
3 hours 1 min ago
- It sounds like your cache is corrupted, and unfortunately, that means you will probably need to delete the cache. Try these steps (from Microsoft forums): "1. Clear all IE browsing history.
1 day 7 hours ago
- I have NFC capabilities in my phone, but I’ve never had a use for it so it’s always turned off. However, there are some efforts to use NFC in smartphone for payments, and it’s rumoured that mobile payments may be a big feature in iPhone 6. Having my phone make payments just by being near something makes me a little nervous. How secure is NFC?
4 days 19 hours ago
- It is usually caused by an AMD display adapter driver. Once you delete that driver, it will probably be ok. Here are the complete instructions from Lenovo: 1. At the black screen, press and hold the power button until the system powers off. This typically takes 5-8 seconds.
4 days 19 hours ago
- It’s a bit of a multi-step process, but not too hard. First off, make sure that you get a 2.5” HDD. I’m sure you will check, but it would be annoying to get a new HDD and realize that you got one for a desktop and it won’t fit the PS4. Once you have that, you will also need to get (or get out) a flash drive with at least 1GB of free space.
2 weeks 9 hours ago
- You should be able to find the hotpatch you need here: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509
2 weeks 10 hours ago
- The EU has forced Google to remove search results for people if they request it. I’m a fairly private person, so in some ways it appeals to me. However, this seems awfully close to censorship to me, and I’m not sure I like the idea of people being able to remove things they don’t like by force of law. What do other people think?
5 weeks 4 days ago
- Gartner released the results of a study recently that looks at non-relational technology in it’s data warehouse report. Obviously Hadoop has had an impact in data warehousing, in particular the challenge it has posed for traditional data warehouse technologies.
7 weeks 5 hours ago
- Well, I know you said you have Unix experience, but it would also help to have some knowledge of Linux. That should be pretty easy for you to pick up. I think Cloudera requires Linux knowledge as a pre-req for Hadoop Admin courses. You really did not make it clear what course you were looking at, so I assume Cloudera.
7 weeks 5 hours ago
- China is claiming that the iPhone poses a threat to the country’s national security, and there is talk about banning iPhone sales completely. China is not Apple’s largest market, with sales of about 3 million iPhones per quarter, but that’s still a significant amount of revenue that the company stands to lose.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- It should be fine without a converter. Just get a travel adapter that has multiple plugs and rock on. You can pick one up for about $40. http://www.powermax.com/parts/show/app-mb974zm__b
7 weeks 5 days ago
- hughye asks Is it a mistake by German publishers to force Google to pay them for being indexed by the search engine?German magazine and newspaper publishers are suing Google for 11% of revenue made “directly or indirectly” from including their content in search results. I know that life can be hard for publishers these days, and any revenue is welcome, but this seems like it could be a case of the publishers making a strategic error.
10 weeks 2 days ago
- Interesting question. I am not a Windows RT user, so I did a little looking around out of curiousity. RT is built to run on ARM platforms, so that could be an issue. A potential problem is the fact that Windows Mobile OS is an obsolete OS that is based off Windows CE and was last released in 2010.
13 weeks 1 day ago
- hughye answers Re: Will Google bring the "right to be forgotten" to the US now that is is implemented in EU?No way that is happening in the US. There is a much greater tendency to protect people against corporate overreach in Europe. There is almost no political will to do so in the US. You can barely pass a common sense restriction on industrial emmisions in the US without someone screaming about socialism.
13 weeks 1 day ago
- Well, you can use Wine to run Windows on Linux. However, there is less than 100% compatibility with Windows applications, so you might want to google “Wine” and the name of any software that you want to use to see if there are common issues.
18 weeks 6 days ago
- You didn’t mention when this is happening or what version of , but I’ve had it occur while using Chrome browser. I have simply shut down Chrome and restarted it, and had haven’t had any further problems beyond having it pop up one other time. Apparently Windows Media Player can also cause this to happen.
25 weeks 3 days ago
- It’s because of a trademark dispute with Rupert Murdoch’s British broadcasting company, Sky. There was a ruling by a judge in an English Court last year that said Microsoft had to rename SkyDrive to prevent confusion under trademark law. It just took a while for Microsoft to impliment the name change.
31 weeks 3 hours ago
- Strange question, is it thesis time? One zero knowlede proof example that almost everyone is familiar with is the two coloured balls example. Let’s see if I can remember it: You have two balls, one green and one red, identical in every way except colour.
31 weeks 4 days ago
- hughye answers Re: Why does Dreamweaver CS3 tell me that my file is located outside of the root folder?The software is telling you to move the file into the root folder that you defined as your website so that if can keep track of your links and manage your site. If you don’t do it, you will probably have problems with broken links and have difficulty uploading files to your site when you publish it.
34 weeks 19 hours ago
- It is a real problem, although probably not particularly common in light of the hundreds of millions of people online. Of course, relative rarity doesn’t mean jack when you are the one that is struck by lightning.
34 weeks 20 hours ago
- hughye asks Do the new FAA regulations that allow use of electronic devices apply to both domestic and international flights?I just read about the decision to allow passenger to use electronic devices during all phases of flight. Does anyone know if this applies to international flights as well?
43 weeks 5 days ago
- It’s the same software, but VMware Player plus is not limited to non-commercial use by license. Plus also has some additional options and settings that allow for greater customization, as well as support for virtual machines created by VMware Workstation or Fusion Professional.
46 weeks 6 days ago
- First and foremost for me would be account security: 24 hour server monitoring, offers SSL, etc. After that, I would look for high server uptime, 24/7 tech support, sufficient bandwidth limit without excessive charges for extra bandwidth, and up-to-date hardware. Fairly low down the list is cost.
47 weeks 5 days ago
- How can I change the rulers that are on the top and side of the PowerPoint window to display metric measurements?
49 weeks 6 days ago
- Judging from the reaction of the stock market, most people are firmly in the “it will help” camp. I think the importance of a CEO can be overstated, but they certainly have the ability to screw things up by making the wrong decisions.
1 year 1 week ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.