- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- You didn’t mention when this is happening or what version of , but I’ve had it occur while using Chrome browser. I have simply shut down Chrome and restarted it, and had haven’t had any further problems beyond having it pop up one other time. Apparently Windows Media Player can also cause this to happen.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- It’s because of a trademark dispute with Rupert Murdoch’s British broadcasting company, Sky. There was a ruling by a judge in an English Court last year that said Microsoft had to rename SkyDrive to prevent confusion under trademark law. It just took a while for Microsoft to impliment the name change.
11 weeks 23 hours ago
- Strange question, is it thesis time? One zero knowlede proof example that almost everyone is familiar with is the two coloured balls example. Let’s see if I can remember it: You have two balls, one green and one red, identical in every way except colour.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- hughye answers Re: Why does Dreamweaver CS3 tell me that my file is located outside of the root folder?The software is telling you to move the file into the root folder that you defined as your website so that if can keep track of your links and manage your site. If you don’t do it, you will probably have problems with broken links and have difficulty uploading files to your site when you publish it.
14 weeks 1 day ago
- It is a real problem, although probably not particularly common in light of the hundreds of millions of people online. Of course, relative rarity doesn’t mean jack when you are the one that is struck by lightning.
14 weeks 1 day ago
- hughye asks Do the new FAA regulations that allow use of electronic devices apply to both domestic and international flights?I just read about the decision to allow passenger to use electronic devices during all phases of flight. Does anyone know if this applies to international flights as well?
23 weeks 6 days ago
- It’s the same software, but VMware Player plus is not limited to non-commercial use by license. Plus also has some additional options and settings that allow for greater customization, as well as support for virtual machines created by VMware Workstation or Fusion Professional.
27 weeks 15 hours ago
- First and foremost for me would be account security: 24 hour server monitoring, offers SSL, etc. After that, I would look for high server uptime, 24/7 tech support, sufficient bandwidth limit without excessive charges for extra bandwidth, and up-to-date hardware. Fairly low down the list is cost.
27 weeks 6 days ago
- How can I change the rulers that are on the top and side of the PowerPoint window to display metric measurements?
30 weeks 18 hours ago
- Judging from the reaction of the stock market, most people are firmly in the “it will help” camp. I think the importance of a CEO can be overstated, but they certainly have the ability to screw things up by making the wrong decisions.
33 weeks 2 days ago
- A couple of days ago there was an online survey, I think it was the Register, a UK based magazine, that asked folks what they thought of Snowden. There were 5 or 6 options, and of respondents, about 75% chose answers that were supportive of Snowden.
39 weeks 4 hours ago
- Graphics may not make the game, but they can aid in the immersive experience. You point out that maybe looking too real would destroy the suspension of disbelief (I paraphrase, obviously). Don’t forget, this could also mean a photorealistic fantastic world, where everything that is normal is turned upside down.
39 weeks 1 day ago
- Google makes this information available for developers every month. They use a different method to determine what devices are in active use by only counting devices that access Google Play, which would be highly relevant to Android developers. As a result, these numbers are slighly different from those in the earlier post.
39 weeks 1 day ago
- I tried to install the Windows 8.1 my Fujitsu Arrows Tab, which came with Windows 8. I get an error message that tells me Windows 8.1 is not supported. How can it be compatible with Windows 8 but not 8.1, which is “just” an update? Is there a work around or anything I can do to install 8.1, or am I just out of luck?
40 weeks 4 days ago
- Make sure that you use a blank sheet of paper for printer cartridge alignment. I have seen people attempt to reuse old paper for this, and it can cause the printer to misalign the cartridges.
42 weeks 2 days ago
- As you said, it is still in beta. In light of the derision with which the icons have been met, I strongly suspect there will be some cosmetic changes.
43 weeks 1 day ago
- One very important thing this does is prevent anyone else from purchasing Waze. Google probably saw the potential for Waze to turn into a viable competitor for Google Maps if a company with the resources and inclination to make it happen acquired them instead. Such as Apple, for instance, or perhaps Microsoft.
44 weeks 6 hours ago
- We often prepare multi-language presentations, usually English-German or English-French. We have the appropriate multi-language packs. How do you check the spelling and grammar of two different languages that are used in the same presentation?
44 weeks 1 day ago
- Pull up the control panel and select System and Security>Allow Remote Access>Advanced. Select the desired amount of time for the invitation to remain open in the invitations box and click "OK" 2x. It’s simple once you know where to change it.
46 weeks 5 hours ago
- One thing that people forget is that for all the negative press Windows 8 has gotten, it has actually sold reasonably well. I do have to wonder how much of the complaining is magnification of the normal resistance people often have when face with change.
47 weeks 6 days ago
1 year 13 weeks ago
- I think XP mode is set to NAT by default, and you need to change that to bridge so it can either obtain an IP from the network DHCP server or you can manually set a static IP on XP mode. Shut down XP mode and switch the XP mode network settings. I think that will take care of it.
1 year 16 weeks ago
- I think you can use the AnySearch extension - it should let you use whatever search engine you want. http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/extensions/#anysearch
1 year 17 weeks ago
- I think the best choice for high value data is not to store it on the cloud. If that isn't an option, use encryption for that data. A lot (most?) cloud providers use some sort of encryption, but you can use other options like TrueCrypt to protect your data.
1 year 20 weeks ago
- Here is a good guide that walks you through one way to complete the process. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/getting
1 year 20 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.