- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- hughye asks Do the new FAA regulations that allow use of electronic devices apply to both domestic and international flights?I just read about the decision to allow passenger to use electronic devices during all phases of flight. Does anyone know if this applies to international flights as well?
5 weeks 1 day ago
- It’s the same software, but VMware Player plus is not limited to non-commercial use by license. Plus also has some additional options and settings that allow for greater customization, as well as support for virtual machines created by VMware Workstation or Fusion Professional.
8 weeks 2 days ago
- First and foremost for me would be account security: 24 hour server monitoring, offers SSL, etc. After that, I would look for high server uptime, 24/7 tech support, sufficient bandwidth limit without excessive charges for extra bandwidth, and up-to-date hardware. Fairly low down the list is cost.
9 weeks 1 day ago
- How can I change the rulers that are on the top and side of the PowerPoint window to display metric measurements?
11 weeks 2 days ago
- Judging from the reaction of the stock market, most people are firmly in the “it will help” camp. I think the importance of a CEO can be overstated, but they certainly have the ability to screw things up by making the wrong decisions.
14 weeks 4 days ago
- A couple of days ago there was an online survey, I think it was the Register, a UK based magazine, that asked folks what they thought of Snowden. There were 5 or 6 options, and of respondents, about 75% chose answers that were supportive of Snowden.
20 weeks 2 days ago
- Graphics may not make the game, but they can aid in the immersive experience. You point out that maybe looking too real would destroy the suspension of disbelief (I paraphrase, obviously). Don’t forget, this could also mean a photorealistic fantastic world, where everything that is normal is turned upside down.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- Google makes this information available for developers every month. They use a different method to determine what devices are in active use by only counting devices that access Google Play, which would be highly relevant to Android developers. As a result, these numbers are slighly different from those in the earlier post.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- I tried to install the Windows 8.1 my Fujitsu Arrows Tab, which came with Windows 8. I get an error message that tells me Windows 8.1 is not supported. How can it be compatible with Windows 8 but not 8.1, which is “just” an update? Is there a work around or anything I can do to install 8.1, or am I just out of luck?
22 weeks 4 hours ago
- Make sure that you use a blank sheet of paper for printer cartridge alignment. I have seen people attempt to reuse old paper for this, and it can cause the printer to misalign the cartridges.
23 weeks 4 days ago
- As you said, it is still in beta. In light of the derision with which the icons have been met, I strongly suspect there will be some cosmetic changes.
24 weeks 4 days ago
- One very important thing this does is prevent anyone else from purchasing Waze. Google probably saw the potential for Waze to turn into a viable competitor for Google Maps if a company with the resources and inclination to make it happen acquired them instead. Such as Apple, for instance, or perhaps Microsoft.
25 weeks 2 days ago
- We often prepare multi-language presentations, usually English-German or English-French. We have the appropriate multi-language packs. How do you check the spelling and grammar of two different languages that are used in the same presentation?
25 weeks 3 days ago
- Pull up the control panel and select System and Security>Allow Remote Access>Advanced. Select the desired amount of time for the invitation to remain open in the invitations box and click "OK" 2x. It’s simple once you know where to change it.
27 weeks 2 days ago
- One thing that people forget is that for all the negative press Windows 8 has gotten, it has actually sold reasonably well. I do have to wonder how much of the complaining is magnification of the normal resistance people often have when face with change.
29 weeks 1 day ago
47 weeks 2 days ago
- I think XP mode is set to NAT by default, and you need to change that to bridge so it can either obtain an IP from the network DHCP server or you can manually set a static IP on XP mode. Shut down XP mode and switch the XP mode network settings. I think that will take care of it.
50 weeks 3 hours ago
- I think you can use the AnySearch extension - it should let you use whatever search engine you want. http://www.macosxtips.co.uk/extensions/#anysearch
50 weeks 3 days ago
- I think the best choice for high value data is not to store it on the cloud. If that isn't an option, use encryption for that data. A lot (most?) cloud providers use some sort of encryption, but you can use other options like TrueCrypt to protect your data.
1 year 1 week ago
- Here is a good guide that walks you through one way to complete the process. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/getting
1 year 1 week ago
- hughye answers Re: How long will Microsoft continue to support Windows 7, now that Windows 8 is out?According to Microsoft, mainstream support for Windows 7 will end on January 12, 2015, with extended support to continue until 2020. Incidentially, mainstream support for XP ended in 2009, but extended support is scheduled to continue until April 2014. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/lifecycle
1 year 5 weeks ago
- There have been some reports in the Brit tech press that The Linux Foundation is going to get a MS key and pre-bootloader so that Linux will be recognized as authorized software by Windows 8. This was described as a stop-gap measure in the piece I read.
1 year 7 weeks ago
- We have very little social media presence up to this point, a rarely updated Facebook page, and a moderated comment section on our website. I'm not saying that's ideal, but on the other hand it's pretty easy to manage.
1 year 11 weeks ago
- Really the only difference I notice from a end user standpoint is that the removable SIM card on GSM phones allows switching phones on a carrier by doing little more than switching SIM cards. Most of the rest of the world outside the US uses the GSM standard, so if you are a traveler, there is a real advantage there.
1 year 11 weeks ago
- hughye answers Re: Why does Adobe require DAILY updates? Are they just trying to push McAfee on everyone?
1 year 12 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.