- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- I’m currently a Business Analyst and would like to become a Project Manager. Can professional branding help me get there?
23 weeks 4 days ago
- I was discussing the current and future state with Ed Airey, a Product Marketing Director with Micro Focus. Because of the nature of his job, he has his finger on the pulse of everything COBOL.
24 weeks 4 days ago
- I’m often asked the question in emails from readers “What should I do next?” For those who have emailed a question with this theme that I have not yet answered, please consider this a general answer to your question.
25 weeks 3 days ago
- If you are in any type of IT role that relates to, or works with, anyone on the business side of your company, then more than ever before, industries-specific knowledge is required when trying to find a job.
26 weeks 1 day ago
- The combination of System Administration skills and Programming skills is crucial to future professional growth.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- If there was ever a good time to be a Business Analyst it’s now, and here's why
28 weeks 1 day ago
- Since graduating from college I have been on a number of great interviews but still haven’t found a job. I don’t understand it. I have a degree in computer science from a great school and some relevant work experience as a summer intern. Any idea what I could be doing wrong?
29 weeks 4 days ago
- I have been out of IT for about three years and would like to get back in. Prior to leaving IT I was a help desk technician with about ten years of experience and my A+ certification. What would you suggest I do?
30 weeks 3 days ago
- Technical advances in data center management are transforming the types of skills that are needed by people working in a data center.
31 weeks 3 days ago
- I love the company I work for and they have been very good to me. The problem is that the company isn’t doing well financially. My job in IT is not currently at risk, but many others are fearful that they will soon lose their jobs. What can I do to help my company and in turn, help my follow employees?
32 weeks 4 days ago
- Former MIT CIO Marilyn Smith recently said in an interview that to enhance your IT career, you should 'exit and then return to IT.' Her reasoning: 'Your time working outside of IT will enhance your perspective on how to best serve your internal clients and also position you to be a business partner, rather than a service provider to other business areas.
33 weeks 4 days ago
- I work at a big company with IT people all around the world. Many of them do the same kind of work I do. What can I do to meet these people and build my internal professional network?
34 weeks 3 days ago
- When I tell my business users about new features we have added to their software, their eyes glaze over and they don’t pay attention. This really makes me mad. What should I do so they will listen to me?
35 weeks 3 days ago
- I’m tired of feeling like an order taker for the business group I support. How do I get them to ask me what’s needed, not just tell me what to do and what reports to build?
36 weeks 4 days ago
- I’m an independent consultant and have to pay for my own training. Are there places I can learn new technologies and gain new technical skills for free?
37 weeks 3 days ago
- I love being technical and at least for the foreseeable future I would like to stay that way. Is it worth the time and money to get a technical certification? Yes it is and this is why.
38 weeks 5 days ago
- When asking people why they like one programming language over another, various memorable TV commercials and great classic songs, comes to mind.
39 weeks 3 days ago
- In today’s technical and business environment, there is a huge advantage of being an out-of-the-box thinker and look at your IT organization holistically, rather than through the lens of your specific technical specialty or current job.
40 weeks 4 days ago
- A conversation on the effect that private cloud related technologies and initiatives will have on the future of IT career and employment options. Our conversation centered on two types of IT jobs; IT Technical Specialists working in a data center and Software Developers.
42 weeks 2 days ago
- In the early 1980s, I was told that COBOL was going away and that I should quickly move toward other programming languages. Well, thirty years later, COBOL is alive and well and living in large companies everywhere.
43 weeks 3 days ago
- I’ve been programming for a few years since I graduated college with a BS in Computer Science and don’t want to do it forever. What do you suggest?
44 weeks 4 days ago
- The Information Technology (IT) groups we all know and love are, slowly but surely, being transformed into new and more business-oriented organizations, best characterized by the term Business Technology (BT). This transformation of IT from being technology driven toward becoming business driven has long been in the making, is truly taking hold, and will potentially have major implications on your future employment.
45 weeks 4 days ago
- In most human endeavors, preparation is the key to success. This could be running a marathon, negotiating the price on a new car, giving a speech, or as you may expect based on the title of this blog, putting your best foot forward in a job interview.
46 weeks 3 days ago
- I'm considering going back to school for a degree in computer science. If I do, are there any IT jobs that can be done virtually from home?
47 weeks 4 days ago
- A friend suggested that professional association meetings are a good place to network. I went to a meeting and didn’t make any good connections. Do you think going to these meetings are worth going to or are they a waste of time?
48 weeks 4 days ago