October 30, 2013, 2:44 PM —
Image credit: flickr/Jon Aslund
Next time you need a mental health day and call in sick, don't say that your false teeth flew out your car window while driving to work because, amazingly, it's not as unique an excuse as you think.
CareerBuilder - which has fast-become our favorite source for "news" - recently polled 2,000 managers and HR professionals asking for the most outrageous sick day excuses they've ever heard.
We're not sure if we're more impressed at people's honesty or imagination. Perhaps we’re living a very boring life. Regardless, the reasons cited for not showing up to work are all awesome.
The survey did note that 30% of companies have checked in on employees to ensure they're truly sick. One interesting way companies keep tabs? Nineteen percent say they monitor the employee's social media accounts, yet another reason to watch what you post.
Here are the most memorable, real-life, we-swear-these-were-really-used sick-day excuses:
- Employee’s false teeth flew out the window while driving down the highway.
- Employee’s favorite football team lost on Sunday so needed Monday to recover.
- Employee was quitting smoking and was grouchy.
- Employee said that someone glued her doors and windows shut so she couldn’t leave the house to come to work.
- Employee bit her tongue and couldn’t talk.
- Employee claimed a swarm of bees surrounded his vehicle and he couldn’t make it in.
- Employee said the chemical in turkey made him fall asleep and he missed his shift.
- Employee felt like he was so angry he was going to hurt someone if he came in.
- Employee received a threatening phone call from the electric company and needed to report it to the FBI.
- Employee needed to finish Christmas shopping.
- Employee’s fake eye was falling out of its socket.
- Employee got lost and ended up in another state.
- Employee couldn’t decide what to wear.