- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: March 2012
Areas of Interest:
- A number of friends I went to college with have been using Google Hangouts for weekly video conferencing calls to keep in touch. Another friend wants to join us, but refuses to set up a Google+ account because he says he doesn’t want Google listening to everything he says.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- I am trying set up a blog that I am self hosting on WordPress.org. I can’t complete installation though because I keep getting a 403: Forbidden Access message. I’m using a Windows 7 desktop. Any ideas what can cause this?
11 weeks 1 day ago
- I’m thinking of getting a new Chromebook, but don’t know all that much about them. Basically, I want a light, simple, inexpensive machine that I can use to get online and use Google Docs. I’ve seen a lot with only 2 GB of memory, same as my phone. Is this enough, or should I look for a Chromebook with more RAM?
13 weeks 12 hours ago
- Windows Phone has to be pretty much an “also-ran” in the mobile market for a long time, but it seems like I’m seeing better and better hardware options lately. Still I don’t see very many Windows Phone devices out in the wild. Have they started to get any traction yet, or is it still a two horse race between Apple and Android?
15 weeks 10 hours ago
- To be fair, it is an opt-in system, so you just have to choose the appropriate box, or I suppose if you are getting service in person, tell little Johnny's grandmother that happens to work for the local ISP that you really want to look at everything. “Yes, mum. Everything. See you at church on Sunday, mum.”
16 weeks 1 day ago
- First off, examine your own actions for behaviors that are high risk, things like opening attachments on emails and visiting risky sites (which are often risque sites). You might want to also consider keystroke encryption software, which should prevent keyloggers from stealing your passwords, account numbers, etc.
18 weeks 1 day ago
- Is memory effect (where a battery will loose the capacity to take a full charge if consistently charged from a partially discharged state) still an issue I have to be concerned about with current laptop batteries? If so what should I do to avoid it?
18 weeks 5 days ago
- jack12 asks Can Microsoft Security Scanner be used if a third party anti-virus program is installed on a PC?Can I still use Microsoft Security Scanner if another anti-virus program is installed on a PC?
19 weeks 14 hours ago
- jack12 answers Re: What is a reasonable range that can I expect from a wireless router (residential)?As Christopher said, it depends a lot on your environment. In a perfect world, line of sight without any obstructions, you could see 50% signal strength for 300-400 feet with a good residential AP. At the same time, with that same router, you could potentially get a very poor signal the next room over.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- What you are hearing is computer morse code that means “spend some money and fix me.” Preserve all your data immediately and stop using it. Clicking sounds usually indicate bad heads in your hard drive. If you continue to use it, the problem will just get worse.
29 weeks 4 days ago
- You can change it under the Developer tab (if not visible, go to File>Options, then go to Customize Ribbon in the Word Options dialog box and check the Developer box). Select the Attach button; in the Attach Template dialog box you can choose the template you want and open it.
30 weeks 19 hours ago
- I was in the shower yesterday and heard a piece on Morning Edition about the use of mesh networks in response to concerns over outside entities monitoring activity. I didn’t catch the entire thing, but it seemed to imply that a mesh network would be a more secure alternative to a traditional network. Does this make any sense?
31 weeks 6 days ago
- To be fair, PayPal has released the funds in both of the instances you cited, although one has to wonder whether they would have budged if not for the media attention paid to their actions.
32 weeks 2 days ago
- The easiest way is to simply go to Windows Start and select Recent Items. Unless the person thought to erase recent items, you should be able to see if anyone was poking around. You can also check the recent activity on any of your browsers to see if websites that you have not accessed are in there.
32 weeks 2 days ago
- I’m pretty sure that you can’t print out ebooks from iBooks (lots of vowels in front of the word "book" in a single sentence), but you can print PDFs. It would be nice if you could print out ebooks; I don’t really see the problem with it.
32 weeks 4 days ago
- jack12 answers Re: How can I use landscape and portrait layout for different pages in the same Word document?You can do it, but Microsoft could have made it easier to figure out. Here is a guide for you: http://www.officetooltips.com/word/tips/how_to_use_different_page_orientations_inside_one_document.html
32 weeks 4 days ago
- jack12 answers Re: What’s the difference between Apple’s new “iPhone Trade In” program and the current “Reuse and Recycle” program?The recycle option is only available online, while you can just walk in the store for the “iPhone Trade In Program”. I’m not sure if there is any difference between the Trade in and Recycle programs as far values offered, but you are most likely going to get more by selling it somewhere other than the Apple Store.
34 weeks 20 hours ago
- No way, but maybe that’s just me. Also, to be fair, you actually get five email addresses on your wish list for $1.99. Which is still about $1.99 more than I would pay. How are they going to keep stuff that isn’t intended for the new user of the address out of their hands?
34 weeks 20 hours ago
- I’m not expecting major changes. Fingerprint scanning seems to be a strong possibility, based on the number of times I’ve seen it pop up in “insider” articles. Other than that, I expect a significant amount of minor changes, new icons, spiffy animations and beefed up hardware specs.
35 weeks 5 days ago
- The government in the UK has asked ISPs to implement adult content filters for all British internet users. Do you think they can actually make this work? I have my doubts, when you look at the lack of success countries like Iran and China have had with internet censorship, but maybe I’m wrong.
35 weeks 6 days ago
- What are the most significant changes/additions in Android 4.3 Jellybean?
36 weeks 4 days ago
- Good point. I actually add website that I visit regularly to my exemptions list for AdBlock for exactly the reason you noted. I consume the content, and feel that it is only fair to support those people who generate that content.
38 weeks 18 hours ago
- jack12 asks Does Google trend of cancelling products like Reader make you less likely to try their new products and services?Google has made it very clear that they will turn the lights off of any product they have, even if there is a substantial user base, such as existed for Reader. I’ve often been an early adopter of Google products and services, including Google+. Picnik and, yes Reader.
39 weeks 1 day ago
- jack12 answers Re: What’s the difference between being an administrator user and root user on a Mac?A root user can screw things up much more easily. You can access pretty much everything as a root user, including other users’ files. The training wheels are off, and you can change or delete files with impunity, which can be a very bad thing if you delete or change the wrong thing.
42 weeks 4 days ago
- I think the encryption method that christopher mentioned is only an option on devices running 4.0 or later. It you are one of the 36% of Android users still rocking 2.3 you will have to figure something else out.
42 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.