- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Jaikumar Vijayan covers data security and privacy issues, financial services security and e-voting for Computerworld. Follow Jaikumar on Twitter at @jaivijayan.
Areas of Interest:
- In an Internet of Things world, smart buildings with web-enabled technologies for managing heat, lighting, ventilation, elevators and other systems pose a more immediate security risk for enterprises than consumer technologies.
14 weeks 3 days ago
- New York Presbyterian and Columbia University Medical Center settle with HHS to end probe into 2010 patient data leak.
15 weeks 20 hours ago
- Exchanges between NSA director and Google execs suggest cooperation on data security.
15 weeks 2 days ago
- Retailer's disastrous performance in Canada last year probably weighed more heavily in decision to part ways, analysts say.
15 weeks 3 days ago
- jaikumarvijayan wrote FTC told to disclose the data security standards it uses for breach enforcementThe FTC can be compelled to disclose details of the data security standards it uses to pursue enforcement action against companies that suffer data breaches.
15 weeks 6 days ago
- The Internet of Things is likely to bring 'a major inflection point in security' sooner than you think.
16 weeks 6 hours ago
- The Data Incubator program is designed to make science and engineering PhDs better data scientists and quants.
16 weeks 19 hours ago
- Researchers say tools would help Flint River Vally farmers conserve water and increase long-term crop yield.
17 weeks 11 min ago
- InBloom said its initiative would have allowed schools to offer customized instruction to students.
17 weeks 1 day ago
- Texas EquuSearch contends that FAA rules do not bar drones for 'humanitarian use'.
17 weeks 2 days ago
- The Securities and Exchange Commission plans to review the cyber defenses of 50 Wall Street broker-dealers and investment advisers to determine whether they are prepared for potential cyber threats.
17 weeks 3 days ago
- The U.S. commercial drone industry is still struggling to get off the ground more than two years after President Obama signed into law a bill that permits the civilian use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) over the country's airspace.
18 weeks 4 hours ago
- Louisiana and Pennsylvania could become the latest states to impose restrictions on the use of commercial drone aircraft over their airspace.
18 weeks 1 day ago
- Many banking, mobile payment apps connect to servers vulnerable to OpenSSL flaw, says Trend Micro.
18 weeks 6 days ago
- A federal court in New Jersey this week affirmed the Federal Trade Commission's contention that it can sue companies on charges related to data breaches, a major victory for the agency.
19 weeks 23 hours ago
- Most enterprise security organizations are unlikely to have a spamming refrigerator on top of their list of things to worry about. But news earlier this year that an Internet-connected fridge was co-opted into a botnet that sent spam to tens of thousands of Internet users is sure to have piqued the interest of at least a few.
19 weeks 4 days ago
- Reauthorization was needed to ensure continuity while changes are made, feds say.
20 weeks 2 days ago
- Industry efforts to shore up payment card security after the massive data breach at Target appear to be devolving into a battle over chip vs. PIN technology between retailers and credit card companies.
21 weeks 16 hours ago
- Business groups in a growing number of companies appear to be plowing ahead on data analytics projects with little input or help from their own IT organizations.
21 weeks 2 days ago
- Some financial services companies are looking to migrate their ATM fleets from Windows to Linux in a bid to have better control over hardware and software upgrade cycles.
22 weeks 20 hours ago
- Less than 40% of U.S.'s 425,000 ATM systems will have migrated off Windows XP
22 weeks 1 day ago
- AvMed agrees to set aside $3 million for breach victims, whether they suffered direct harm or not.
22 weeks 3 days ago
- Companies that suffer major data breaches almost always portray themselves as victims of cutting edge attack techniques and tools. The reality, though, is often much more mundane.
23 weeks 6 hours ago
- Security experts say many airlines lack the latest tracking equipment; it's still unclear what was carried on missing Malaysia Airlines plane.
23 weeks 2 days ago
- After 20-plus years of service, the technology remains a core part of the IT security stack despite its long predicted demise.
24 weeks 1 day ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.