- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Joab Jackson is a U.S. correspondent at IDG News Service.
Areas of Interest:
- Mainframe operators using BMC software may now be able to enjoy the speedy, devops-style development pace that is quickly becoming the norm for customer-facing mobile applications and Internet services.
2 days 50 min ago
- Former GitHub CEO Tom Preston-Werner has resigned from the company following an investigation into claims of harassment.
2 days 5 hours ago
- Microsoft will be in the smartphone manufacturing business as of this Friday, the day it expects to close the acquisition of the Nokia Devices and Services business.
2 days 12 hours ago
- Borrowing a page from the recently revised Microsoft playbook, development tools maker Telerik has released as open source the bulk of its Kendo software library of components for building Web and mobile applications
5 days 7 hours ago
- Worried about how the Heartbleed vulnerability may affect your personal accounts? A new tool may be of help.
6 days 4 hours ago
- A U.S. federal court has affirmed contempt charges against Lavabit, rejecting an attempt by company attorneys to argue new issues on appeal.
1 week 1 hour ago
- Falling hardware sales and the cost of layoffs hit IBM's profit hard in the first quarter, sending it down 21 percent from a year earlier.
1 week 6 hours ago
- Red Hat is looking to advance the Docker Linux container application for wider enterprise use.
1 week 1 day ago
- Microsoft is targeting the growing volume of data being generated by both machines and humans: CEO Satya Nadella on Tuesday showed off tools that could help organizations better understand -- and profit from -- this trove of information.
1 week 1 day ago
- As organizations move in-house systems to the cloud, Canonical wants them to consider switching their OSes as well.
1 week 1 day ago
- Attempting to quickly recover from a contentious and ultimately failed CEO appointment last month, the Mozilla Corporation has appointed board member Chris Beard as interim CEO.
1 week 2 days ago
- Updating its platform for the hyper-connected cloud era, Tibco has equipped the new version of its flagship application-integration software with the ability to communicate with external applications.
1 week 5 days ago
- Continuing its run of digital marketer acquisitions, IBM has announced its purchase of Silverpop, which specializes in managing personally-customized Internet promotions.
1 week 6 days ago
- VMware is about to release a new version of its Horizon VDI (virtual desktop infrastructure) software that will allow administrators to manage VDI and non-VDI deployments in a unified manner, by using multiple VMware technologies.
2 weeks 8 hours ago
- Working to keep its place in an increasingly heated competitive landscape, MongoDB has updated its namesake open-source NoSQL database system with considerable performance improvements, a new automated management module and stronger security tools.
2 weeks 13 hours ago
- This month's "Patch Tuesday" includes the final round of security fixes Microsoft will issue for Windows XP, potentially leaving millions that continue to use the OS open to attack.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- Bitcoin today is like the Internet of 20 years ago, showing immense promise but in need of much more development, a digital currency executive said Monday, kicking off the Inside Bitcoins conference.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- Google has filed a protest with the Turkish courts about the government's country-wide ban of YouTube, according to a Turkish newspaper.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- Joab Jackson wrote The mainframe turns 50, or, why the IBM System/360 launch was the dawn of enterprise ITIn many ways, the modern computer era began in the New Englander Motor Hotel in Greenwich, Connecticut.
2 weeks 4 days ago
- Joab Jackson wrote The mainframe turns 50, or, why the IBM System/360 launch was the dawn of enterprise ITIn 1964, mainframes weren't new, but the System/360 revolutionized the computer industry.
2 weeks 5 days ago
- As it rolled out tools and features for coders at its Build developer conference Thursday, Microsoft showed that it is ready to embrace technologies and platforms not invented within its walls.
2 weeks 6 days ago
3 weeks 2 hours ago
- Instead of relegating desktops to a lower priority while pursuing the mobile device market, Microsoft will integrate its PC dominance into its current core strategy to become a devices and services company, opening keynotes at the company's 2014 Build developer conference suggest.
3 weeks 4 hours ago
- Enterprise search software provider LucidWorks has introduced a package based on its open-source Apache Solr search engine that will allow administrators and business analysts to extract more information from IT system logs.
3 weeks 18 hours ago
- For the next release of its open source MySQL, Oracle is making a number of changes designed to vastly boost the speed of the open source relational database management system.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 22
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.