- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2011
Areas of Interest:
- JOiseau asks What is the likely impact if Verizon wins its lawsuit against the FCC challenging net neutrality rules?Would the average person be likely to see any impact if Verizon wins its court case against the FCC? Verizon says that the FCC exceeded its authority in enforcing net neutrality rules. Wouldn’t this make things cheaper by getting the government out of the free market?
6 weeks 21 hours ago
- I know that a forced shutdown (holding down power button until it shuts off) isn’t a good practice but why is that true?
8 weeks 2 days ago
- How do I pair a Bluetooth headset with Windows Phone 8?
10 weeks 4 days ago
- How do I take screenshots on an iMac?
12 weeks 1 day ago
- How do you disable the “hot corners” feature that switches between applications in Windows 8? I accidentally click them all the time.
14 weeks 4 days ago
- What do you need to do to connect a Mac to an HDTV with HDMI input? I saw a Thunderbolt to VGA adapter at the Apple Store, but they said they don’t make a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. There are some non-apple products that claim to do it, but if Apple decided not to support HDMI, are they safe to use?
15 weeks 4 days ago
- I'm a little behind the times, and I have yet to jump on the tablet bandwagon. I love to read, and was thinking about getting a Kindle Paperwhite. My android phone is good for most things but I don't like reading on the relatively little screen, and I think it would be much more pleasant to read on the Paperwhite.
28 weeks 2 days ago
- Does it have any impact on warranty coverage if you upgrade RAM on your own? I've seen how high the repair costs can be on a Mac Pro, and I don't want an unpleasant surprise later if something goes wrong with it.
31 weeks 4 days ago
- What things will a lifelong Windows user need to adjust to when switching to Linux? Are any of them deal-breakers?
38 weeks 4 days ago
- I updated the Kindle app earlier this week, and when I was getting ready to do a little bedtime reading last night all of my books were gone, my bookmarks were erased, and the settings were changed! What's going on, was Amazon hacked, was I hacked, or was the update corrupted? Any ideas on what happened?
40 weeks 2 days ago
- Here is another guide that might be helpful is you are going the ubuntu path: http://askubuntu.com/questions/58261/how-can-i-create-a-private-cloud
1 year 1 week ago
- JOiseau answers Re: What's the best alternative to Apple's Maps on the iPhone 5 until Apple gets things sorted out?I've never used Navigon, but it sounds like a good alternative. TomTom would be my first choice, in part because I used TomTom GPS navigation for years before there were smartphones, and it has always served me well. It updates maps automatically, and is very similar in use to the GPS devices that are built into cars.
1 year 9 weeks ago
- I got a mass email from one of our vendors warning that their WordPress blog had been compromised using the "Blackhole exploit" and that they apologized for any spam that may have been sent as a result. It didn't go into any details beyond that. We have a WordPress blog as well and I'm not sure how the Blackhole exploit works.
1 year 16 weeks ago
- JOiseau answers Re: What's the point of Jelly Bean when there are relatively few Android devices even running Ice Cream Sandwich?I see your point, but on the other hand, I guess I embrace a little bit of the Field of Dreams approach, i.e. if you build it they will come. This hasn't exactly turned out to be a truism for Android OS devices, though. I just did a little search online, and there are still NEW devices being sold that are running 2.2 Froyo!
1 year 23 weeks ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.