- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2011
Areas of Interest:
- Is there a way to play YouTube videos in slow motion? There has to be a better way than my “rapidly pause and unpause” method, which doesn’t work very well.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Can Sir's voice on an iPhone be changed from female to male?
15 weeks 5 days ago
- This week Facebook rolled out “Nearby Friends” a new location sharing feature. I don’t need to share with everyone where I am all the time, and I don’t want Facebook to know this either. What do I need to do to disable this feature?
22 weeks 1 day ago
- I know that I will probably give myself a “dope slap” to the forehead when I learn how to do this, but I’m still new to Windows 8. How do I switch users?
23 weeks 3 days ago
- One of the first things tech support generally tells me if I have a problem is to restart my computer. That’s worked so many times that it’s helped me avoid a lot of unnecessary calls for help, but how can a simple restart fix a problem. If my car isn’t working, I can’t generally just restart it and then have it work fine.
24 weeks 5 days ago
- This has happened to me all too often. I suppose it is one of the side effects of having a zillion tabs open at one time, but it drives me crazy when I go to close on tab, and accidentally close the one next to it.
28 weeks 5 days ago
- Where do I need to look to find out if the version of Windows 7 I am using is 32-bit or 64-bit?
33 weeks 3 days ago
- AOL just issued a statement denying that they are shutting it down. Maybe this is one that the Old Gray Lady got wrong.
37 weeks 4 days ago
- When Google Fiber was first announced in 2011, I remember reading (and thinking) that it was great for Kansas City, and in a decade or so maybe they would try a second city. Then it came Austin. Then it came to Provo. Next Palo Alto. Now AT&T is going to offer a direct competitor to Google’s high speed fiber network in Austin.
40 weeks 2 days ago
- JOiseau asks What is the likely impact if Verizon wins its lawsuit against the FCC challenging net neutrality rules?Would the average person be likely to see any impact if Verizon wins its court case against the FCC? Verizon says that the FCC exceeded its authority in enforcing net neutrality rules. Wouldn’t this make things cheaper by getting the government out of the free market?
47 weeks 8 hours ago
- I know that a forced shutdown (holding down power button until it shuts off) isn’t a good practice but why is that true?
49 weeks 2 days ago
- How do I pair a Bluetooth headset with Windows Phone 8?
51 weeks 3 days ago
- How do I take screenshots on an iMac?
1 year 6 days ago
- How do you disable the “hot corners” feature that switches between applications in Windows 8? I accidentally click them all the time.
1 year 3 weeks ago
- What do you need to do to connect a Mac to an HDTV with HDMI input? I saw a Thunderbolt to VGA adapter at the Apple Store, but they said they don’t make a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. There are some non-apple products that claim to do it, but if Apple decided not to support HDMI, are they safe to use?
1 year 4 weeks ago
- I'm a little behind the times, and I have yet to jump on the tablet bandwagon. I love to read, and was thinking about getting a Kindle Paperwhite. My android phone is good for most things but I don't like reading on the relatively little screen, and I think it would be much more pleasant to read on the Paperwhite.
1 year 17 weeks ago
- Does it have any impact on warranty coverage if you upgrade RAM on your own? I've seen how high the repair costs can be on a Mac Pro, and I don't want an unpleasant surprise later if something goes wrong with it.
1 year 20 weeks ago
- What things will a lifelong Windows user need to adjust to when switching to Linux? Are any of them deal-breakers?
1 year 27 weeks ago
- I updated the Kindle app earlier this week, and when I was getting ready to do a little bedtime reading last night all of my books were gone, my bookmarks were erased, and the settings were changed! What's going on, was Amazon hacked, was I hacked, or was the update corrupted? Any ideas on what happened?
1 year 29 weeks ago
- Here is another guide that might be helpful is you are going the ubuntu path: http://askubuntu.com/questions/58261/how-can-i-create-a-private-cloud
1 year 42 weeks ago
- JOiseau answers Re: What's the best alternative to Apple's Maps on the iPhone 5 until Apple gets things sorted out?I've never used Navigon, but it sounds like a good alternative. TomTom would be my first choice, in part because I used TomTom GPS navigation for years before there were smartphones, and it has always served me well. It updates maps automatically, and is very similar in use to the GPS devices that are built into cars.
1 year 50 weeks ago
- I got a mass email from one of our vendors warning that their WordPress blog had been compromised using the "Blackhole exploit" and that they apologized for any spam that may have been sent as a result. It didn't go into any details beyond that. We have a WordPress blog as well and I'm not sure how the Blackhole exploit works.
2 years 5 weeks ago
- JOiseau answers Re: What's the point of Jelly Bean when there are relatively few Android devices even running Ice Cream Sandwich?I see your point, but on the other hand, I guess I embrace a little bit of the Field of Dreams approach, i.e. if you build it they will come. This hasn't exactly turned out to be a truism for Android OS devices, though. I just did a little search online, and there are still NEW devices being sold that are running 2.2 Froyo!
2 years 12 weeks ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.