- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Tom Kaneshige writes about Apple for CIO.com. Follow him at Twitter @kaneshige.
Areas of Interest:
- First Yahoo called its remote workers back to the office. Now HP has issued an 'all-hands-deck' mandate. (Rumors are swirling that Visa may be next to rein in workers.) Is this really all about innovation? And will this approach work with today's tech workers -- especially those in Silicon Valley?
21 weeks 1 day ago
- Millennials will challenge traditional managerial methods and question your every move. However, they will also bring energy, tech savvy and innovative ideas. Focus on hiring and retaining them as if your job depends on it -- because it will.
21 weeks 6 days ago
- Our obsession with mobile devices leads us to text, surf and read when we should be paying attention to what's around us. Those distractions could cost you your cell phone -- or worse.
22 weeks 14 hours ago
- If you're talking about movies or Halloween costumes, zombies are scary fun. However, when the term for the undead refers to company-owned or BYOD mobile phones, CIOs are looking at the potential for frightening amounts of buried expenses.
22 weeks 1 day ago
- When 340 high school students figured out how to remove mobile device management software from their iPads they did more than gain access to social networks and banned websites.
23 weeks 1 day ago
- Forget what you think you know about Generation Y. A recent survey dispels many of the myths surrounding millennials and the digital culture. Turns out age may be nothing but a number.
23 weeks 1 day ago
- iPads in the enterprise is a great concept and many companies are eager to roll out pilot programs. However, the reality is that these programs can drag out for years, thousands of iPads sit in warehouses waiting for programs to be approved. So how can pilot programs take off?
25 weeks 1 day ago
- Apple's latest mobile operating system upgrade, iOS 7, will be ready for public consumption on Sept. 18. To help you prepare, enterprise mobility company Cortado has some suggestions (in infographic form).
26 weeks 16 hours ago
- When it comes to providing mobile support to BYOD employees, IT and end users have drastically different perspectives. Why the disconnect?
26 weeks 2 days ago
- Who owns mobility in the enterprise? It's not the CIO. The business side is seizing power for mobile application development and management, and software vendors are quickly adjusting to service this nontechnical target market.
27 weeks 6 days ago
- Are confidential corporate documents finding their way onto employees' personal phones, laptops and tablets? You bet. Even worse, the next-generation workforce doesn't care.
27 weeks 6 days ago
- For all the success the iPad has enjoyed, it's only big drawback has been that Microsoft Windows software - and Microsoft Office, in particular - doesn't perform well. However, now Parallels has unveiled an app that brings full versions of Windows desktop software to the touch-based iPad.
28 weeks 18 hours ago
- If you've ever felt isolated among your smartphone-obsessed friends and family, you're not alone. In fact, a new video from My Science Academy captures that feeling of isolation. CIO.com Senior Writer Tom Kaneshige weighs in on whether mobile devices connect us or sentence us to solitary confinement.
28 weeks 1 day ago
- Apple's first rule about enterprise features: 'You don't talk about enterprise features.' While you may not hear it from Cupertino, BYOD features abound in iOS 7 and, according to AirWatch's Blake Brannon, they are 'as innovative as we've seen from Apple.'
28 weeks 2 days ago
- Snowden represents a new kind of rogue employee or contractor: a tech-savvy millennial armed with personal computers who can spirit away highly sensitive data. CIOs will have to deal with this threat sooner rather than later.
29 weeks 13 hours ago
- Cisco is the latest Silicon Valley company to make it clear that it wants a younger, more tech-savvy workforce. But what looks like a youth movement to some industry observers and tech executives is age discrimination to others.
29 weeks 2 days ago
- Apple's developer website is finally fixed after nearly a month of disruption. Then came Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's doomsday prediction on the eve of Apple's big fall product launch, followed by billionaire investor Carl Icahn showering Apple with some love. It's getting crazy in Cupertino.
30 weeks 1 day ago
- What's the most expensive mobile phone bill in the world? How many cell phones are left in New York City cabs each day? How many hours a year are lost to Angry Birds? Find out in this eye-opening infographic.
30 weeks 5 days ago
- When it comes to mobile devices, there's a good chance your company is paying for something it shouldn't be, and this infographic will help you spot the unintended financial consequences of employee mobility.
30 weeks 6 days ago
- In less than two years, millennials will make up the largest segment of the workforce. If you hope to attract GenY technology professionals, your IT strategy better include a bring-your-own-device plan that plays to the strengths of this tech-dependent generation.
31 weeks 2 days ago
- Employees want their go-to business apps available on their mobile devices. IT wants to deliver enterprise apps to help mobile workers become more productive. So what's keeping CIOs from bringing those critical apps to iPhones and Android phones?
32 weeks 11 hours ago
- A survey of IT executives and IT pros paints a disturbing picture of BYOD. That picture includes a lack of confidence in compliance with federally mandated regulations, a fear that sensitive data is at risk and uncertainty about the overall effectiveness of BYOD.
32 weeks 1 day ago
- In the brave new world of BYOD, zombie phones are most likely lurking in your enterprise. As company-owned mobile phones are replaced by employee-owned devices, corporate billing from carriers sometimes lives on. Are these undead phones eating away at your tech budget?
32 weeks 6 days ago
- 'Oh Apple, why hast thou forsaken me?' Such is the lament you might hear among iOS developers angry over Apple handcuffing their efforts to create compelling mobile apps -- particularly where it concerns iCloud.
33 weeks 10 hours ago
- When it comes to emerging technology, 'wearables' may be the talk of the town these days. But don't throw away your trusty smartphone. It may become the driving force behind wearable technology such as glasses, watches and clothing.
33 weeks 1 day ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.