- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: December 2012
Areas of Interest:
- I've heard about using DNS Optimization to speed up your internet connection, but how do you go about it? Do you just try a DNS server and maybe it will have a positive impact, but maybe it won't? I'd love to get faster download speeds for free, but I don't want to go through a blind trial and error process until I find a "good" DNS server.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- iTunes is probably just going to keep trying to install a new version of iOS that a 3G will not support. I'm speculating about this, so don't accept it as gospel. Maybe the easiest thing for him to do would be to go to the Apple Store, if there is one around, and see if they can install an older version of iOS.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- I have a couple stuck pixels on one of my displays, and it drives me crazy. It's a little thing, but I cannot look at the screen without it being as noticeable as a fire truck driving by with its siren on 11 while all the firemen toss $50s out the windows.
5 weeks 23 hours ago
- I upgraded from 5.1.1 to 6.0 a few months ago, and my iPod Touch just has not been as stable with all apps as it was before the upgrade. Is it possible to switch back to 5.1.1? I can't seem to figure out a way to do it.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- It's time for the NCAA basketball tournament, and every year there is a debate on what to do about it. We had a couple people arguing that we "have to" block all tournament content and videos.
9 weeks 22 hours ago
- Yeah, tough to answer. Not everyone has the same talents and abilities. Plus there are some tech degrees that are, for lack of a better term, traditional, such as electrical engineering, and you might not have even considered those.
9 weeks 1 day ago
- How can I keep my ISP from sanctioning/throttling my home service? I use BitTorrent quite a bit, and most, if not all of my downloads are legit. There are quite a few musicians that are available for 100% authorized download - Counting Crows being perhaps the best known, but there are many, many others.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- Is there a way to find out if your ISP is doing this? I'm not too happy at the thought of the ISP I pay for doing what the MPAA and RIAA demands, and my level of confidence that the "six strikes" policy will be fair and accurate is pretty low based on the competence I've seen from my ISP.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- Apparently Apple has 100+ people working on a watch device thingy. I'm not sure that I see the need for something like that - the screen would by necessity be very small, and for those of us who wear dress shirts everyday, if it is VERY flat, it will interfere with the sleeve. I don't see how it could be anything but a very limited device.
13 weeks 6 days ago
- It factors in to getting high search results, but it is only part of the recipe for Google special sauce. Of course, Google keeps that recipe secret, so much of what we think matters and how much is only a guess. I read once that Google made nearly 500 changes to its search algorithms in one year, so the target is always moving.
15 weeks 3 days ago
- I was going to say Netflix, but I wasn't fast enough to get dibs. Another example that most people would be familiar with would be Obama's get out the vote efforts. In 2008 it was called Project Narwal, I don't know what it was called in 2012.
15 weeks 4 days ago
- My first thought at seeing the new $799 128GB iPad was, that it was a catch up model to keep its specs competitive with the $999 Surface Pro 128GB. Now, I'm not so sure that the Surface needs to catch up to the 128GB iPad after learning that Windows 8 takes up 45GB of the Surface Pro's storage.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- I "need" to unlock the bootloader on a HTC One V so I can root it and flash a custom ROM. I've never owned an HTC device before and have never dealt with a bootlocker. How do I go about unlocking it?
18 weeks 42 min ago
- landon answers Re: Can i have a graph showing what the latest technology mostly, moderately used, and least used by the people by year 2013.thanksI'm not sure that it is super easy to find exactly what you are looking for, but I gave it a shot anyway. It's a little difficult to find much that includes 2013 since we are only two weeks into the year. I found a couple that might be of use, but unfortunately posting multiple links seems to trigger the spam filter.
18 weeks 4 days ago
- Why not go with antivirus software that is well known and has been repeatedly tested by independent labs and journalists. I use AVG Free and am pleased with it, and it does a good job at blocking malware. Avast is also good - and free.
19 weeks 3 hours ago
- You might want to give JSTest.NET or js-test-driver (although it hasn't been updated for a while) a try.
19 weeks 1 day ago
- Thunderbird would be my choice. Evolution is ok (from what I remember, I haven't used it in almost two years), but I think that it can be harder to configure than Thunderbird. There are also lots of extensions that you can use to make Thunderbird match your needs.
19 weeks 2 days ago
- It's basically a pool of random numbers that operates at the kernel level. There is a huge debate going on in among android developers about whether the Seeder apk has an effect or not. It seems that on newer quad-core devices there is little or no benefit noticed. On older, less powerful devices people seem to notice an improvement.
19 weeks 3 days ago
- I think the possibility of an Ubuntu smartphone is interesting, although I don't know if I'm quite ready to move to a different OS at this point. But one thing that I've been asking myself is what company would build it. Motorola, Apple and RIM are out of the question. Nokia has enough problems and had jumped on the Windows train.
19 weeks 6 days ago
- What is the best emulator for testing out web sites? I need to make sure that our web sites work on all the different browsers and OSes that are out there in the wild. What do you use to make certain that everything works for visitors on different platforms?
20 weeks 4 days ago
- Thanks for the help. The Inbox Repair tool, which I didn't even realize existed, did the trick.
21 weeks 2 days ago
- I'm getting an error in Outlook when I try to open my Outlook personal folder that tells me my .pst file is corrupted. I'm not sure how it happened, but is there a way to still access the data?
22 weeks 1 hour ago
- FireVault II is as secure as your password for the most part. It uses 128-bit AES encryption.
22 weeks 1 day ago
- In SharePoint 2010, I updated a photo that was stored in the image library, but the image preview shows the older, incorrect version of the photo. Does anyone know how I can make the image preview update, so people see the correct image?
22 weeks 4 days ago
- My little brother is to head off to college next fall to pursue a BFA. I was thinking about getting him a drawing tablet to use with his Mac as a Christmas present, but I honestly have no idea what to look for. Actually, I guess I shouldn't ask what is the "best" drawing tablet, but what is a good one that doesn't cost too much.
23 weeks 1 hour ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.