Then I made sure makefile could find the libjpeg, libpng, and zlib directories, relative to the location of the ghostscript source. My ghostscript source files and makefile live in
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/gs5.5. The three directories that contain the library source code live beneath that directory. The libjpeg sources, for example, are in
Next, I modified the makefile and associated files exactly as detailed in
Gimp-Print/Ghost README. For Ghostscript 5.5, the version I got with Red Hat 6.2, that meant appending the contents of
contrib.mak.addon in the
Gimp-Print/Ghost directory to the
contrib.mak file in the gs5.5 directory. I used cat to do it; it was a snap. The format for concatenating two files into a third file is simply
cat file1 file2 > file3. Then I backed up the original
contrib.mak and replaced it with the new one.
$(DD)stp.dev to the line beginning
unix-gcc.mak in the gs5.5 directory and renamed it
makefile. Then I ran
make install in the ghostscript directory, and that was that.
It was time to build CUPS. Again using the SRPMS CD from Red Hat 6.2, I installed the source for version 1.1.4. Next came the familiar sequence of
make install. With 1.1.4 in place, I returned to the CUPS directory in the Gimp-Print directory, and installed it in that same three-step fashion. By the time
make install finished, all the Gimp-Print drivers had been made available to CUPS.
I used CUPS for the first time to configure my new printer. I opened an HTML file called
documentation.html in the
cups/doc directory, and clicked on the link for the Software Administrators Manual. Then in Section 3 of the manual, Printer Management, I walked through the steps to add my printer to CUPS. Piece of cake. I had to reconfigure my services run at startup so Apache would also run; otherwise, I couldn't have used the GUI admin interface.
Then came the big moment: printing a high-res photograph. I started GIMP and picked one of the many photographs we've taken over the past couple of months.