- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2011
Areas of Interest:
- How are you managing mobile application performance in your organization? What are the best monitoring apps?
8 weeks 4 days ago
- I'm looking for a few good resources that walk me through the costs associated with MFPs for small to mid-sized businesses.
22 weeks 3 days ago
22 weeks 4 days ago
- Looking for a good deal...
24 weeks 22 hours ago
34 weeks 3 days ago
- What are the options and considerations?
39 weeks 1 day ago
- "A new national survey by Wakefield Research, commissioned by Citrix, showed that most respondents believe the cloud is related to weather, while some referred to pillows, drugs and toilet paper. Those in the know claim working from home in their 'birthday suit' is the cloud’s greatest advantage.
35 weeks 3 days ago
- It's getting so you need a scorecard to keep up with the relationships between Linux and ARM chips these days.
35 weeks 4 days ago
- A new whitepaper from travel firm Amadeus IT Group highlights open source software and how too much marketing can be a bad thing.
35 weeks 5 days ago
- Red Hat has taken a unique step in defending itself from a patent infringement claim from Twin Peaks Software: a counterclaim that Twin Peaks is in copyright violation on mount, the file management app that is licensed under the GPLv2.
36 weeks 1 day ago
- Redmonk has updated its semi-annual ranking of programming languages, and while there wasn't a lot of movement among the usual leaders in the list, languages like Visual Basic and CoffeeScript have shot up in their popularity since the rankings were first introduced in 2010.
36 weeks 2 days ago
- Open source is one of the concepts that has taken off in a variety of implementations: hardware, cars, and… legal documents?
36 weeks 3 days ago
- One of the biggest problems with cloud computing for small businesses is having little to no clue how much working with a cloud-based infrastructure is really going to cost.
36 weeks 4 days ago
- Big data is all about non-relational databases and distributed data storage, so the hype goes, and if you don't believe us, WE HAVE AN ELEPHANT THAT WILL STEP ON YOU! RARGH, MORE DATA!
36 weeks 5 days ago
- The much-hyped release of Amazon's new line of (Android-based) Kindle devices could be the model for a new way to market and successfully sell Linux on the desktop.
37 weeks 1 day ago
- The urge to climb the next hill and see what's over the horizon is as old as human existence. To seek out strange new resorts and new souvenirs: that is the voyage that we all seek to undertake, with hopefully a nice, sandy beach at the destination.
37 weeks 1 day ago
- Quick: name one big difference between Linux and Android. And no, penguins and robots don't count. The truth is, there are lots of differences between the two platforms, despite their common connection to the Linux kernel. But the one that's most on my mind today? Upgrades.
37 weeks 2 days ago
- I was reading the back-and-forth between Miguel de Icaza and Linus Torvalds (with special guest star Alan Cox) over the holiday weekend, and I was hardly surprised by the amount of finger-
37 weeks 3 days ago
- Want to use a laptop with NVIDIA's Optimus graphics chip? If you're a Linux user, that desire has left you at least unsatisfied and at most, well, pretty angry.
37 weeks 4 days ago
- I did a bad thing: I installed Windows 7 on a laptop the other day. And yes, while it was bad in the "Brian-are-you-a-moron?" kind of way, it was also a bad technical experience to boot.
38 weeks 1 day ago
- While big data tools like Hadoop are usually used in conjunction with existing relational database systems, 10gen is working towards a loftier goal: getting its NoSQL database MongoDB to replace instances of relational databases.
38 weeks 3 days ago
- Just over two years after their now-famous Kickstarter fundraiser that generated ten times the amount of funds they were seeking, the founders of Diaspora have announced they wi
38 weeks 4 days ago
- [chunklet] flickr/tristanf
38 weeks 5 days ago
- Tomorrow, August 25, is the day traditionally used as the anniversary date for the Linux operating system.
39 weeks 1 day ago
- There are a lot of debates going on about the pros and cons of the systemd service management system versus the legacy System V init system. Many of these debates center around the technical efficacy of systemd, but perhaps the most powerful question to be asked is: is Linux finally ready to walk away from its Unix legacy once and for all?
39 weeks 2 days ago
- With the release of a third free OpenStack distribution this week, the heady early days of Linux when New Distros Roamed the Earth seem recreated. But has the past really come back again?
39 weeks 3 days ago
- Hadoop has been the undisputed king of big data for a while, but while the emperor has some clothes, the limitations of Hadoop have made the outfit skimpier than it needed to be. Now Hadoop developers are building the new processing system known as YARN, to knit the emperor some better clothes.
39 weeks 4 days ago
- Cloud computing, particularly public software as a service (SaaS), may have an unlooked-for advantage over "shrink-wrapped" software--freedom from the tax man. But that advantage may not last forever.
39 weeks 5 days ago
- Updated with a comment from the CCIA, and additional information gleaned after the original posting of this article.
40 weeks 1 day ago
- Ken Starks can drive me crazy sometimes. It's been a while since I have spoken with him. After leaving Linux Today and working for the Linux Foundation, I found myself falling out of touch with various members of the Linux community, and unfortunately Ken was one of them.
40 weeks 1 day ago
- Working with big data is a lot like dealing with the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: either you're going to have a massive amount of data on hand or you're going to be able to query that data in real time--never both.
40 weeks 2 days ago